Welcome to our GoFundMe campaign. We are PazLo Education Foundation a 501c3 non-profit committed to transforming education through innovation. We manage two public charter schools in Los Angeles: APEX Academy in Hollywood and Matrix for Success Academy in South Los Angeles, as well as Diploma Plus our innovative competency-based academic/mental health model.
1st Goal: Raise $1 million by December 31, 2019
Your donation will help us to share our innovative trauma informed/mental health model & competency-based academic platform called Diploma Plus with other deprived inner city schools. We can achieve this goal by taking Diploma Plus from its current "beta stage” to a “pilot stage”
1) Setting up a $500,000 grant for another deprived inner city school to use and implement our model (user test outside of our current two schools).
2) Hire two programmers/developers to work on our Diploma Plus Competency-Based Learning platform to support scalability ($200,000).
3) Hire professional marketing firm to support DP release for the 2020-2021 school year ($100,000).
Please listen to our testimonials - from students, from staff, from the board and from PazLo’s founders: https://www.pazlo.org/
4 key features of the Diploma Plus model are:
1) 150:1 Student to Counselor Ratio: This is our greatest innovation. A 150:1 student to counselor caseload enables counselors: A) to get to know each student individually; B) to develop a whole student support plan; and C) to provide wrap around services for those who need them. We start with each student’s personal well-being at home, in their neighborhood, and at school before unpacking academic needs. Young people need to know they are safe before they can learn.
In most schools nationally, the average is close to 500 students to 1 counselor (500:1), with some states as high as 882:1(CA) and 941:1(AZ); decreasing the ratio to 150 students to one counselor provides significantly greater access to needed support from counselors. This level of support yields an increase in successful A-G completion (courses required for eligibility for 4-year colleges) and an increased graduation rate. Over a 5 year period APEX Academy has raised the college going rate from 28% to 79%, with these students graduating college with no debt.
A. Students advance upon demonstrated mastery. B. Competencies include explicit measurable, transferable learning objectives that empower students. C. Assessment is meaningful and a positive learning experience. D. Students receive timely and differentiated support. E. Students develop and apply a broad set of skills and dispositions.
3) 1-Stop Shop: All non-academic student support is offered right at the school site; this includes: after school enrichment and tutoring, alumni post-secondary support, one-on-one counseling, family wraparound services, criminal justice supports, and more. The Counselor individualizes these supports for students and families.
4) Continuity of Collective Care: Setting up a school wide culture of mental health understanding and support for ALL students, school staff, and families with ongoing professional development throughout the school year is key.