Many Houston area shelters are reporting that they have sufficient food, water, clothing etc, so while there are still tremendous needs, there is an opportunity to address needs to help people on the road to recovery - like getting kids the basic items they need for school.
We would be appreciative of any support that our friends and colleagues can provide. The Smith family will match up to $5000 in donations and will provide a detailed accounting of the supplies purchases and where they went.
The Smith family was barely affected by Hurricane Harvey, and we are very fortunate that Nova was largely unaffected. A few Nova employees had large amounts of water in their homes, but everybody is safe. This gofundme campaign is in addition to the efforts that some our Nova employees are organizing.
GoToFundMe asked that I add the following information:
1. I am Karen Nowiejski Smith and I am from Houston Texas.
2. I live in Houston. We have started a not-for-profit to provide school supplies for students in the Houston and Beaumont area who were affected by Hurricane Harvey. The name of the not for profit corporation (a Texas corporation) is Quartermaster School Supplies Inc. and our federal tax id is 82-2699022.
3. We will use the funds to purchase additional backpacks. We have outstanding requests for 16 cases of backpacks. Using the funds contributed by the Smith family, we have sent out roughly 24 cases of backpacks already.
4. We have solicited request from Houston and Beaumont schools and had an individual from the school sign a form requesting the backpacks and stating there is a need related to Hurricae Harvey. The most common stated need is for a case of 24 backpacks. If the school needs a case or more of backpacks, we will order the backpacks and have them delivered directly to the school. We have some backpacks delivered to my work office and for smaller orders, we put them together at my office and then ship them out or one of my co-workers delivers them. Additionally, to distribute any funds that are left over, we have surveyed what these same schools will need in November because we anticipate the need will be ongoing. Some of these additional needs identified were for pencil bags and consumables like paper and pencils.
Happy to provide any documentation required!
- St. Lawrence Catholic School Lawrenceburg, Indiana
- Anonymous Anonymous
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more