Please help! Your financial support is needed to finish the legacy trail developments at River Bend!
With the new Canada Winter Games trails at River Bend Recreation Area, the Parkland and Red Deer Nordic Ski clubs seized the opportunity to further expand and improve many of the remaining trails, creating a legacy for many to enjoy for generations to come. The trails are now longer, safer and more accessible for hikers, dog walkers, mountain bikers, snowshoers, skiers and runners.
Over the past 6 months we have raised over $380,000 in cash and in-kind donations to upgrade or add:
· 2.5 km of trails including 2 new loops to avoid the old road crossings,
· a bridge crossing the creek, and
· 3.5 km of lighting for night use.
This has truly been a full community effort:
· Peavey Mart has generously come on board with $100,000 to help fund the trail lighting;
· the Alberta government provided a $200,000 grant to improve many of the remaining trails;
· Gen 7 Environmental Solutions have put months of work into carefully shaping and clearing the trails at a generous rate;
· Nova Chemicals donated most of the underground wiring for the light park; and
· ski club volunteers have worked to plan and clear trails and construct a bridge.
Though the project has gone well and is nearing completion, the cold, wet weather this autumn delayed work, adding additional costs. We now hope to finish by Nov 30th but will run a $20,000 deficit on this $400 000 project. Please consider donating to our legacy trail development.
These improvements benefit every trail user; and the region as a whole as the trails draw people from around the province for races and recreational use. We have created safer, more enjoyable, user -friendly trails for all sport groups to use both summer and winter.
We are asking for your help as a past or present trail user at River Bend Recreation Area, or just a proud member of the broader community, to support this long-lasting legacy project.
Any amount would be appreciated to ease the financial strain on our small volunteer clubs. We are not for profit clubs. Please share this link with others to help us reach our goal of $20,000 for trail and winter-use enhancement.
Sincerely, Brian Johnson - on behalf of the Parkland and Red Deer Nordic Ski Clubs