Rhianna Montoya Aneurysm

Hi everyone, 

I’d like to thank those of you who are taking the time to read this! I would also hope and pray that as you read this,  God will touch your heart and that He would be the source and guidance of your willingness to help our family in anyway.  Most imortantly I pray that the Lord would receive all the glory in any and all your contributions. 

As some of you know, my little sister Rhianna, who is 19 years old, Is currently in the ICU at UT Southwestern Medical-Zale Lipshy Hospital in Dallas, Texas. 

Rhianna is a fun, loving, free spirit who recently graduated from Onate High School just five months ago.

About two weeks ago Rhianna first started to feel, “under the weather.” We thought she had strep throat or maybe even the flu. She went to the doctors a couple times and they prescribed some medication for her headaches and for the discomfort in her throat. Well that didn’t help! So Rhianna started to experience severe headaches (mainly on the left side of her head), nausea, numbness on the left side of her face & mouth, and vomiting.   So after about 6 days of being, what she says, “sick as a dog,” Rhianna went to Mountain View Regional Medical Center Emergency room, where she was simply sent home with orders to, “stay hydrated, rest and to eat.” MVRMC stated that all she had was “big tonsils!” We knew something was wrong! So the very next day she went to Memorial Medical Center, where they immediately took her in to care for her and started running tests and doing labs etc. It was then that they discovered Rhianna had an infection and  two big abscesses in her throat and her airway was 70% blocked. Immediately she was airlifted to Del Sol Medical Center in El Paso, Texas to be treated by a Neurosurgeon that could perform a surgery to rid her of the abscesses. Rhianna had her first surgery to drain the abscesses on Friday, Oct 13,  2017. Everything went well, she came out of surgery, she was recovering and they ran some more tests and then discovered a blood clot in her throat. So she started being treated for the blood clot. She seemed to be improving and getting so much better and we even thought she’d be getting released on a Wednesday, Oct 18! Well, the doctors continued to run tests to monitor her throat and the area they had done surgery on. It was then that they discovered Rhianna now had an aneurysm in one of the main arteries in her neck, on the left side. That very night she was moved down to ICU, where they were going to do surgery to place a stent and coil in the artery. That same night Rhianna started throwing up massive amounts of blood (clotted and unclotted) from her mouth and it was also pouring out of her nose and it wouldn’t stop, so much so that she looked at my mom and asked her, “Am I dying? Am I going to die?” & then she started to seizure. My mom was in the room with her and witnessed all of it. She was then placed on more pain medication and medication to sedate her. She was kept sedated and was basically out (asleep/sedated) for the next two days. She went into surgery on Tuesday, Oct 18 to have the stent and coil placed. She was in surgery for two and half hours, only to come out and be in the exact same condition she was when she went into surgery. The doctor couldn’t place the stent and coil in because he couldn’t place the blockage because the aneurysm is way to far up and so close to the brain. The options given to us were that we could either leave her at Del Sol Medical Center in El Paso and hope for a miracle and hope that she doesn’t bleed to death or have a stroke. Our other option was to have her sent to Dallas to see a Brain specialist so they could help her. She then went in for another surgery so the ear, nose and throat specialist could clean her up and check for bleeding etc. Well, being we didn’t have very many options or time, because her condition is so vital and things can  south for her at any given moment , we had to make a quick decision. We decided she should go to Dallas to get the care she needs,  so she was airlifted to UT Southwestern Zale Lipshy Hospital In Dallas, Texas on Oct 18, 2017. 

Rhianna does not have a surgery date yet nor are there plans at this moment to have the surgery due to the fact that the doctor says she still has the abscess, infection and blood clot.  The blood clot is in the way and making it impossible for the surgeon to go in and safely place the stent and coil. At this point Rhianna has breathing tubes and feeding tubes Down her throat, and she has a catheter. She’s been poked a million times and and tons and tons of tests have been ran on her continuously. Shes miserable, sad and mostly scared. 

Rhianna is a healthy 19 year old girl who’s never been and never imagined she’d be laying in a hospital bed fighting for her life. We’re all devastated and hurting and doing our best to stay strong and optimistic. But mainly she’s the one going through it and feeling it. She is the one with her life on the line. When the news gets worse we do our best to keep our faith strong and press forward knowing that God has a plan and that He causes all things to work together for the good of those  who love Him. 

Our family needs help to be out here in Dallas with Rhianna. It seems, at this point, as though Rhianna will be here at the hospital in Dallas awhile and will not be going home anytime soon. My mom will be the one who permanently stays out here with her while some of us have to go back to our homes to take care of things. My mom won’t  leave her side. None of us want to leave her side. 

Our family is beyond grateful and blessed with any and all of your contributions to help pay for hotel, food, transportation and any and all other expenses that come with being away from home and work for a long period of time. Also, WHEN Rhianna does make it out of this, any and all monies will be used to travel back and forth for her follow up treatment and medications that her insurance won’t cover or any medical expenses that her insurance won’t cover. 

We thank you in advance for everything and we thank everyone who has reached out to us and who have prayed, and will continue to pray for Rhiannas healing. Please don’t seize your prayers for even a moment. 


(Rhiannas big sister)
  • Larry Salazar 
    • $20 
    • 49 mos
  • Blanca Ochoa 
    • $20 
    • 49 mos
  • Ron & Carol Paynter 
    • $25 
    • 49 mos
  • Gail Bleiweiss 
    • $20 
    • 49 mos
  • Dennis Diaz 
    • $100 
    • 49 mos
See all


Samantha Jaramillo 
Dallas, TX
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more