My name is Arna, I am 17 and currently on a gap year. My plan for this year is to go to Tanzania and Kenya in December through an Australian company Global Immersion.
This is the trip:
Our first couple days will be spent in Kibera, the second largest slum of Africa. While we're here we will be with the children and families that we are sponsering, I hope that by spending time with them that I can understand what it's like to live and grow up in the environment.
We then go to Tanzania where we will be going to three of the primary schools that are at the foot of Mount Killimanjaro: Mandela, Azimio and Kaloleni. At these schools we will be teaching some of their classes and help put together the combined atheletics carnival where we will be the cheerleading squad.
Then begins our biggest trek, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro lead by graduates of the schools that we've visited and sponsered. This experience will last 5 days (if I make to the summit, I hope I make it to the top) finishing at the bottom in a moshi celebration.
The trip wraps up with a safari and we arrive home just in time for Christmas on the 24th.
What I hope to contribute:
As apart of this trip we fundraise money for multiple schools and people that we will meet.
The money will go directly towards:
- sponsering a child from Kibera through a whole year of education
- sponser a dozen graduates and/or teachers from the schools we visit to help guide us up Kilimanjaro
- fund the building of new much needed toilet blocks for the three schools we are visiting in Tanzania where, at the moment, there can be to 200 students to one toilet.
- funding the building of a community hall for the same three Tanzanian schools. This hall will change the educational offering to their students and offer great value to the community. It will also become a source of income to the three schools as they will hire out the hall for weddings, events and conferences.
- go towards our charity sponser A Mirror of Hope , whose mission is to offer support to the women and children of Kibera slum. They offer education scholarships, school holiday programs, HIV/AIDS awareness and strive to empower the women of the area.
If we raise $1000 each, we can each sponsor one child to go to school for a year. If we can raise $2000 each, for a combined total of $84,000, we could assist with these other projects as well.
My goal is to then raise a minium of $1500 so that I can contribute to all these projects and really help the community as a whole. I will be doing some baking to try and achieve my target. However, any donations that can be made would be a tremendous help and I would be so thankful for them!
Need More Information?
If you have any questions or queries please ask or have a looked at the attached document from Global Immersion.
Also enjoy the video from the 2015 groups climb of Kilimanjaro
- Rakesh Chand
- Shailja Singh
- Helen Migus
- Jon Darvill
- Marisa Gerussi
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more