Rebecca (Becky) Brock Singletary

On May 24th, I had the first of the two part surgery to remove the hemangioma tumor on the left side of my head, behind my ear. Due to the type of tumor (mass of the blood vessels) the surgery was serious due to the fact that I could bleed out.

The procedure was scheduled to be done at you UofL, by a team of specialist who has dealt with these types of tumors before.

In order to make sure the surgery went well with minimal complications, the surgeons wanted to try and cauterize the tumor by going through my groin area and burn off the blood vessels feeding the tumor. They ran into a few complications and ended up placing some type of glue around the tumor to reduce the bleeding.

On the 25th, they began the procedure to remove the tumor. The tumor was larger than they had anticipated! (4 inches in diameter) It was stuck to my scalp and the surgeon had to literally scrape the tumor from my scalp. Once that was completed and the entire tumor was removed, they had to begin the task of sewing my scalp back together. This required skin grafts from my left thigh and some pig skin.

A wonderful team of plastic surgeons managed to graft my scalp, by twisting, turning and pulling in so many different directions until, they got it perfect! I was then stapled closed with 120 staples!

The surgery was supposed to take 45 minutes, but instead it took eight hours! All the surgeons involved did an awesome job! I could not have asked for better team at surgeons to work on me.

I have been sick as a dog but, that is to be expected. I have never felt pain like this before in my entire life! Thanks to God and all the prayers from everyone, I'm doing better!

I'm basically bedridden I have round the clock care from my family and friends. I'm on pain meds and nausea meds every four hours to help reduce my head pain the doctors want to make sure the pain meds don't wear off before the next dose.

I was in the hospital for seven days at first they thought it would be 2 to 3 days at the longest. I was released on May 31st from UofL.

It's been rough for me still throwing up and not having an appetite for anything the first few days home but, finally I've got my appetite back a little and have stop throwing up. I was actually feeling good. I sat outside a few times and felt more myself. The 3rd was my birthday; I had a great day even though I could not go anywhere. Friends and Family stopped by with the flowers and cards, it was a great day!

My children celebrated my birthday early in the hospital with me. My son, John made a cake for me. It was the best day ever; my children were with me and my granddaughter too!

Then on Monday, the 5th I started feeling very nauseous and started throwing up again. I was unable to keep anything down. I threw up all night and my wonderful boyfriend got up with me each time and held my hand or rubbed my feet. By Tuesday morning my pain level was at a 10! I was in the worst pain I have ever felt in my entire life! I have had four children natural and many surgeries but, nothing comparable to the pain I was feeling at that moment! I actually thought my head was going to blow up!

The pressure from throwing up all night made it unbearable so, my sister ended up taking me to UofL ER. I could barely hold my head up. I was completely dehydrated and was shaking uncontrollably, when they wheeled me into the ER.

The nurses at first said it would be a few minutes before they could see me but, once they actually looked at me, I was taken back immediately and an IV was put in. They wanted to get a scan of my head just to make sure nothing was going wrong. The nurses that took me back were so sweet and gentle with me. They had to use a backboard to get me on the bed, to do that head scan. At this point, I was shaking beyond control with two blankets over me. One of the nurses said, "Miss Singletary, you need to be real still so we can get a good picture of what's going on. As they were slowly putting my head where it needed to be, I prayed to God that he would please help me to be perfectly still so they could get some good pictures. All of a sudden my entire body stopped shaking and such a peace flooded over my body like, I have never felt before! It was totally amazing! I felt the peace of God touch my entire body.

In a matter of minutes, they were done. The nurses said they were able to get several great pictures. They took me back to the room and gave me some meds. I started shaking again but, they covered me with more blankets and I was good. Once I got back my color and was feeling better, they released me to go back home.

I have my good days and bad days but overall I'm doing better. Unfortunately I have to be off of work for 6 to 8 more weeks. I work as a server so; I have no sick days or money set aside to help pay bills.

As you can imagine, the medical bills are piling up! I’m behind on my house payment, car payment utilities and the late fees are piling up too! I have cut corners everywhere possible and my Family and Boyfriend have helped me financially, all they can!

It's really hard to ask others for help but, I have nowhere else to turn! I would appreciate any amount you could donate and would be very grateful to everyone for helping me in my time of need!

God bless each and every one of you! May God watch over you and keep you in his care always!
Becky Singletary and Bryan Basham.


 See top
  • Lynda Tierney 
    • $50 
    • 40 mos
  • Senija Muaremi 
    • $50 
    • 43 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 43 mos
  • Evelyn Stasel 
    • $25 
    • 43 mos
  • P Kellach Waddle 
    • $7 
    • 43 mos
See all


Brian D. Basham 
Kraft, KY
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more