Update: Dutchess did not work out for me, so the dog trainer and I have decided to train a new puppy. His name is Torben and I am excited to begin work with this little guy!
Below I have included a general discrtption of PTSD and how service dogs help.
What is PTSD?
Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder that can occur after you have been through a traumatic event. During this type of event, you think that your life or other's lives are in danger. You may feel afraid or feel that you have no control over what is happening.
Anyone who has gone though a life-threatening event can develop PTSD. These events can include:
Combat or Military Exposure
Child sexual or physical abuse
Sexual or physical assault
Serious accidents, such as a car wreck
Natural disasters, such as a fire, tornado hurricane, flood, or earthquake
After the event, you may feel scared, confused, or angry. If these feelings don't go away or they get worse, you may have PTSD. These symptoms may disrupt your life, making it hard to continue with your daily activities.
What can a Service Dog do for someone with PTSD?
• Alleviate anxiety/distress and provide psycho-emotional grounding by nudging, pawing, and leaning.
• Assist a person in waking from night terrors and nightmares.
• Distract a person from an event or specific maladaptive behavior by nudging, pawing, and licking.
• Bring medication to a person on command or when alerted to do so by a timer/alarm.
• Stand in front of or circle an individual in crowded areas in order to create personal space in a non-aggressive manner.
• Lead an individual safely to a building exit when experiencing an anxiety or panic attack.
• Get help by alerting another person or activate an emergency button or alert system.
A trained PTSD service dog is a tool and is not intended to substitute or replace current therapeutic or medication treatment plan.
DonationsSee top donations
- LaVaun Tvenstrup
- Mark Best
- Louis Forstner
- Matt McMichael
- Iris Fn
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more