Our whānau is on a journey of restoration.
Creating a safe space to decolonise and share hau ora knowledge inherited from our tīpuna.
Our tūrangawaewae is at the place most people know as the Longest Place Name, Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu.
We are grateful this whenua has remained in Māori ownership, the significant historical site of Te Taumata, where Tamatea Pōkai Whenua sat and played his kōauau to his loved one.
For many years, some organisations and individuals have used our tīpuna name to apply for funding or make money, with no accountability or acknowledgement to the Ngāti Kere hapu.
We established our company LandEater Ltd in 2020, to uphold the dignity of this wonderful taonga by trademark and to make sure it is always respected.
We have plans to thrive on this special place, on this whenua, creating opportunities for our iwi, our community, and the Central Hawkes Bay region.
Our responsibility as kaitiaki drives our care of people and place.
Resourceful thinkers, game changers, day makers, smile generators.
Our plan includes:
• Ensuring a safe all weather 5km track to the site.
• Erecting 2 whare at the entrance, to welcome and farewell our manuhiri/guests.
• Showcasing local produce and merchandise.
• Erecting 2 whare near the site to be used for wānanga and accommodation.
• Having environmentally friendly toilet facilities.
• Creating an overnight camping area and bush walks to share rongoā knowledge.
• Building a vehicle access and carpark complete with signage and EV capability.
• Buying appropriate vehicles to transport our manuhiri safely.
- We have estimated the total amount for this project to be $350,000.
Phase 1- One whare at $12,000. Once the amount is reached, we will move to phase 2.
With every successful amount reached, we will share the building process on our website and social media pages to be as transparent as possible.