To My Fellow Palabras Bilingual Bookstore Lovers and Supporters,
Palabras Bilingual Bookstore is a reflection of us. When we enter the space, we feel seen and it is a sacred space for our books, stories, and people. Our cultural ways of being are accepted unlike most places we have to navigate in Phoenix, AZ.
Most bookstores operate simply as a bookstore but Palabras goes beyond that. Palabras Bilingual Bookstore is our bookstore and community space run by us and for us. It is a vital refuge that lovingly protects and preserves our voices in literature.
Unlike traditional indie bookstores, Palabras is more than a bookselling space, it is a resource to our QTBIPOC communities and a refuge to all marginalized people, and it needs your consistent support through ongoing growth and transition. Right now the store is facing a constant threat of not existing. It is an essential space in the Phoenix community, and the stewards of Palabras Bilingual Bookstore humbly request your continued support at this time.
Palabras is working collaboratively on a project that they hope will change the inequities it faces within the industry and get authors to Phoenix, and specifically to Palabras. It’s happening, doors are starting to open for them, but this will take time, which is not something they currently have due to the financial situation they currently find themselves in.
- In its current financial state, Palabras will have to close its doors at the end of the month.
- Friends, right now the stewards of Palabras are feeling fatigued, depleted, and discouraged by these systems they fight on a daily basis to keep running our space. It’s our time to show up for them, for our beloved Palabras bookstore and community space. The time to act is NOW.
- Palabras made it through the pandemic because of YOU, because of OUR Phoenix community. We can do it again! Palabras can continue to exist because of YOUR support!
- The best way to contribute and support the preservation of Palabras is to donate and share this GoFundMe. Please continue to show up for Palabras by purchasing books, sharing stories with friends over Cuentos Café coffee and spreading the word. $5 can go a long way for our bookstore and community space, so please give in order to save this venue made by US and for US!
- Your donation will help Palabras Bilingual Bookstore preserve the following offerings to our community:
- The garden which people are free to harvest from and is a food resource.
- A drop site for mutual aid and books that go to youth at Durango Detention Center.
- BIPOC open mics which center marginalized voices and allows communal healing.
- Book clubs and writing groups that focus on reading marginalized authors and facilitate discussion.
- An art gallery which allows artists who haven’t been given the opportunity and platform to share their work, the space itself is also used for events.
- Different community events such as markets, readings, and workshops.
Fundraising team (4)
Raised $14,375 from 404 donations
Raised $1,295 from 24 donations
Raised $210 from 4 donations
This team raised $7,789 from 157 other donations.