In September Popoki developed an ulcer on his right eye. This was treated with drops and medicine, and was monitored closely by our vet. Unfortunately this treatment didn’t fully work, so the vet performed surgery to close his eye for two weeks. This helped, and the ulcer shrunk, but it didn’t fully fix the problem. The drops and medication continued for a few more weeks, and Popoki was signed off from the vets at the end of November.
Unfortunately over the past few weeks, Popoki’s eye has become very cloudy, and on Saturday we returned to the vets as he was clearly in some discomfort. We had previously asked for a referral to an ophthalmologist, but the waiting list was 3-4 weeks, due to it not being urgent. By Saturday, it was deemed urgent.
Today Popoki has seen the ophthalmologist, and they have confirmed that he has a sequestrum. They have recommended surgery, and he is provisionally booked in for next week.
We’ve been fairly quiet on Facebook and Instagram, as we’ve been having a pretty tough year. This isn’t great timing for us as a family, due to my husband having recently been through cancer treatment, and more surgery due in January, which means he will require several months off work without pay.
The surgery alone is estimated to cost £4,000, and each appointment £300. An emergency appointment is £600. Popoki has been to the vets once or twice a week since September, and already been through one surgery, so we are fast running out of insurance.
I know that this has been a tough year for many, but we would appreciate any help! Thank you x
DonationsSee top donations
- Susan Beeney
- Stuart Winfield
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more