My name is Mary Beckemeier Russo and I've been instructed to "tell my story". You see, however, it is not MY story. I've decided to take on the initiative, at the request of friends and family, to set up a place for people to express their support for my best friend, my soul mate, my other half, my better half, ...my sister Jessica Beckemeier Kershenski, and her family.
The picture above says it all. That's me with the goofy look and that is Jess on the right. Growing up and now pushing 40 , we are still so close. Not twins (14 months apart) but we might as well be. We share a joke that because we have been pretty inseperable we have had trouble making other friends! What happens to her happens to me. So let me tell you what has happened to her and her incredible family (Kent Kershenski her loving husband, Zoe Kershenski her 1st grader, and Jack Kershenski her preschooler).
This is Mya...
This is Jess's youngest daughter and she was recently diagnoised with Leukemia (B cell ALL) on Tuesday February 24, 2015. Please see her caringbridge page at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/myak for journal updates and the full story!
Times like these bring out the best in the human race and the support for Mya...Super Mya that is!....and the Kershenski family...oh...here they are...
...the support has been amaizing! Mya is getting FANTASTIC care at Mercy and the protocol looks strong. BUT the road is long. I've been contacted (as the understood BFF!) by so many of you as how to help.
Here is my advice...
1. Prayers, prayers, and more prayers! Prayers of thanksgiving, to start. Thanksgiving for the good in your own life. Thanksgiving for medical staff and technology. Thanksgiving for incredible friends and family. Thanksgiving for parents, Kent and Jess, who are the glue to this process. Thanksgiving for Super Mya and her amazing, courageous powers to blast cancer right out of her little body!
2. Playdate with Zoe and Jack! Lots of focus and time is needed for rest for Mom and Dad and help with keeping Zoe and Jack involved, loved, and attended to would go a long way!
3. How about a meal or a gift card? Bake some brownies and leave it on the door step! How about your famous spaghetti sauce in 3 freezable containers, for three easy pours over pasta! Mya, while she shouldn't be out right now, does love the pancakes at First Watch!
4. Speaking of cards! How about a gas card? Lots of trips to the hospital! How about a card to spend at Schnucks for groceries or incidentals? There are many late nights and Starbcuks is a great way to stay awake! About massage envy cards? Jess and Kent are definately massage people and it would give us an excuse to kick them out of the house!
5. Maid service? Gollly...seriously...we all need that rigth! Go in with some friends and get them a couple of sessions???
6. The Hair is Going! Fun Head Wear? Locks of love and send a video?
7. Clothes. Light weight, zip up/button up fronts for easy access to Mya's port.
8. Money! Cold. Hard. Cash. Just kidding! But seriously, I've been to the ER with them. I've been to the fabulous cancer center. I've witnessed the constrictions on Jess and Kent's work. A BIG THANK YOU to SLUH and Mercy, where Kent and Jess work, for the understanding and flexibility! Jess's sick leave time, like most of ours, doesn't apply to taking care of sick children. Hence she is forced to take unpaid leave. All of these cost money; these unanticipated costs is what has ME up at night...as well as many friends and family. It is NOT what has this social worker (Jess) and teacher (Kent) up at night...they know the power of prayer and community and that the good Lord will provide. They have all available energy focused on Mya...she deserves that!
This is where this comes in...me...the worried sister...and GoFundMe. They ask for a money goal...I don't know. Seriously, I don't know. I just know I've had too many requests for a place to put emergency funds from people who care....from people who know what awaits the next few years. You are amazing people and we are lucky to have you in our lives!!!
So lets do this! Let's see how people respond and maybe we could get an emergency fund of $5,000.
Thanks for reading!
DonationsSee top donations
- Barbara Belcher
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more