We are in a #ClimateEmergency and we need to take Action Now!
Our levels of government are not taking the bold action required to tackle this very urgent issue. We need to step up as a community and work together to effect change in our homes, our community and at all levels of government. Together we can fight this!
Personally, I felt the need to take action when I heard how many people felt hopeless. My mother in law has told me that people shouldn’t have children anymore because the future is bleak. My 25 year old nephew also sees no point in bringing children into the world. I have also heard this message from some of my neighbours! And when my daughter talks to her friends about actions we are taking, they feel that their personal action won’t make a difference!
It is devastating to me to see how many generations of people are losing hope!
But we MUST NOT lose hope! Each person CAN make a difference and together we can tackle this very urgent issue.
Neighbours for the Planet has already accomplished much in it's short life:
- In May 2019, we hosted a Green New Deal town hall
- In July 2019, we held the first Climate Action in Richmond Hill, a #ClimateStrike to demand that the CBC host a federal leaders debate on climate change. 50 people attended.
- In Sept 2019, we held a #GlobalClimateStrike in Richmond Hill to join Greta Thunberg and hundreds of thousands of Canadian Youth during the week of Climate Action. 250 people attended!
- Since Nov 2019, we have been holding bi-monthly meetings with volunteers who have been wanting to take action but weren't sure what to do - check out our "What Can You Do" pages on our website to get some ideas of actions you can take.
- Since March 2020, with COVID-19 and not being able to meet physically, we have moved online. We are meeting with our MPs to discuss a Just Recovery and we have been holding climate change presentations. Check out our Campaign page to see what we have been up to.
We have created 3 flyers that look fantastic thanks to our very talented Alan Rapkin. We hand these out at all the tabling events we attend and these really showcase how making small changes in your life can have big impacts in reducing your carbon emissions. Please go to our website and check them out on our resource page . You can download them and email them to your family and friends!
We also have a student-led climate action group who meet every other week. This group is for students who are concerned about climate change and how it effects everything. This is the Everything Matters Movement.
We need your support in helping us move forward on these initiatives. Donations go towards:
- printing brochures, flyers, business cards
- annual renewal fees for our website and email address
- zoom account used to hold online climate presentations
To see exactly where our donations have gone so far, visit our Donations page.
Please support our climate community so we can grow and make effective change! You can also join us by signing up at www.neighboursfortheplanet.ca to receive updates on climate events and news. Everyone is welcome and needed!
The climate crisis is the most urgent threat facing humanity. It effects each one of us and each one of us can and MUST do our part to reduce its impact. We need to STEP UP and leave our children and grandchildren with a beautiful planet and bright future!
Thank you for your support!
Neighbours for the Planet
- Naomi Knight
- Vic Williams
- John Willson
- Teresa Porter
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more