Neighbours for the Planet was formed in November 2018 by a group of concerned neighbours after reading that the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change concluded that “limiting global warming to 1.5C would require rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society”.We are in a #ClimateEmergency and we need to take Action Now!
Our levels of government are not taking the bold action required to tackle this very urgent issue. We need to step up as a community and work together to effect change in our homes, our community and at all levels of government. Together we can fight this!
Personally, I felt the need to take action when I heard how many people felt hopeless. My mother in law has told me that people shouldn’t have children anymore because the future is bleak. My 25 year old nephew also sees no point in bringing children into the world. I have also heard this message from some of my neighbours! And when my daughter talks to her friends about actions we are taking, they feel that their personal action won’t make a difference!
It is devastating to me to see how many generations of people are losing hope!
But we MUST NOT lose hope! Each person CAN make a difference and together we can tackle this very urgent issue.
Neighbours for the Planet has already accomplished much in it's short life:
- In May 2019, we hosted a Green New Deal town hall
- In July 2019, we held the first Climate Action in Richmond Hill, a #ClimateStrike to demand that the CBC host a federal leaders debate on climate change. 50 people attended.
- In Sept 2019, we held a #GlobalClimateStrike in Richmond Hill to join Greta Thunberg and hundreds of thousands of Canadian Youth during the week of Climate Action. 250 people attended!
We are growing in numbers! We are hearing that neighbours want to take action but don't know what to do. We are now holding bi-weekly volunteer nights so we can work on this together!
We are focusing on climate actions that have the biggest impact on reducing our carbon emissions. According to Drawdown.org, these would be:
1) Food waste – in our homes, grocery stores, restaurants etc
2) Plant based diet – we are looking at small steps so not to scare people off and would basically be promoting reducing our meat consumption. This might include having monthly cooking classes to help with creating new meatless meals and build our community.
3) Transportation – we need Electric Vehicle charging infrastructure – the focus would be on multi-unit housing where it is more difficult to add a charging unit, as well as malls and community spaces (libraries, community centres)
4) Tree Planting to help sequester carbon emissions. We are going to hold fundraisers to collect money to plant trees either locally or through existing organizations that plant trees in other countries. The fundraiser would also be an effective way to grow our climate community.
We need your support in helping us move forward on these initiatives. We need money to print out brochures, flyers, business cards and to hold climate film screenings and other events.
Please support our climate community so we can grow and make effective change! You can also join us by signing up at www.neighboursfortheplanet.ca
. Everyone is welcome and needed!The climate crisis is the most urgent threat facing humanity
. It effects each one of us and each one of us can and MUST do our part to reduce its impact. We need to STEP UP and leave our children and grandchildren with a beautiful planet and bright future!
Thank you for your support!
Neighbours for the Planet