My Family's Store Burned Down

On September 30, 2017, my father started his day like any other day, preparing to go to work at his furniture and appliance store. While watching the morning news, a breaking news report came across the screen showcasing the 2 alarm fire of a local business. That local business was Furniture USA.

Furniture USA is a Kansas City furniture and appliance store which started in 1991. It was owned and operated by my father who started the business with meager life savings. He was able to build a successful, but small business that provided the local community with affordable furniture, matteresses and appliances. My father's business was enough to make a decent living that supported his family over the years. Now, his livelihood has been compromised.

Their entire life savings literally went up in flames today and with it their only source of income. This disaster completely ruins any plans for retirement. The money raised here, while only a small percentage of the loss and funds needed to rebuild, will allow my parents to start again.

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:13


 See top
  • Nwanne Ike  
    • $100 
    • 40 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 42 mos
  • Duru Ahanotu 
    • $100 
    • 42 mos
  • Asmeret Yohannes 
    • $100 
    • 42 mos
  • Liz Fisher 
    • $25 
    • 42 mos
See all


Nneka Okoye 
Kansas City, MO
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more