As many rescuer's opinions of 'I like my dogs more than I like most people' were validated once again, someone intentionally swerved to hit this poor boy with their vehicle...he was thrown, and injured quite badly. He laid in the street for hours before the right people were able to get to him to help.
Once he was reached, he was taken to Gulfgate Animal Hospital. They have been AMAZING and kept and treated him at a discounted rate. And recommended the surgeon they work with, Dr. Wilcox, who is both reasonable on price and an excellent surgeon. But, rushing him to surgery was not in the cards. We needed to wait for Dr. Wilcox to review the xrays to see if he could even be helped. It was late in the day, so it wouldn't be until morning to hear back from him.....
It was a nail biting 12 hours, as his prognosis wasn't good and stood to be worse than the initial assessment indicated.
You see, one hip and leg were horribly swollen and he had no reaction during the tests to see if he had any feeling in either leg. X-rays showed that both hips were broken completely out of sockets, one being completely separated. His pelvis looked a bit displaced as well and it couldn't be determined if it was shattered or what was going on due to air trapped in his intestines from the trauma. BUT, that wasn't the main concern. The main concern was his bladder. It couldn't be located on the xrays and there was considerable uncertainty that it wasn't ruptured. That would be the deciding factor as to what our next step would be....
Next morning, I didn't want to get out of bed and around 10am, the phone rang. GREAT NEWS! During the night, Cameron had eaten and drank, and urinated! I had never been so happy for pee in my life! He had also indicated a response in the right leg, but unfortunately, the left one was still unresponsive, but we got great news, Dr Wilcox said that either way, he was okay for surgery and he would be willing to perform what would amount to a double hip replacment (laymen's terms :) IF he started showing a response in his other leg as well. Otherwise, he would be performing a single hip replacement and an amputation. He's willing to do either for the same fee, $1600.
Cameron was on the streets before this and unfortunately, he is SEVERELY anemic. So the surgery has been put off for a week. THe amputation decision will be put off until Friday and we will know which direction to go. He will need more blood work to determine which course of action to take.
This fee is the least amount of any estimate, as the emergency clinic would cost more that $3000 to do the same procedure. His current treatment has been taken care of by several donors and another very generous family.
$1900 should cover the costs of traveling (Dr. Wilcox is 2 hours away), the subsequent blood work and visit for diagnoses and for the surgery itself. He is resting as comfortably as possible, is on pain meds and antibiotics, and is eating and drinking (and peeing!) normally at the moment. He has a long road ahead, but at 7 months, this little guy is a fighter!
Can you find it in your heart to even spare $5? If not, prayers and positive thoughts are appreciated as well! You can follow his updates here: https://www.facebook.com/wendy.kressley/posts/10214744097969558?hc_location=ufi and I will update here as I find the time...it's rather hectic at the moment, obviously..
Thank you so much for making it this far!! You are appreciated!
I will be posting videos and a copy of his x-rays this afternoon!
DonationsSee top donations
- Tina Cherian
- Autumn Clack
- Tiffany Ostovar-Kermani
- Craig Oreo
- Seema Nair
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more