Michael Luque's Funeral Services

Michael was diagnosed with renal cell cancer in 2013, after removing the tumor and right kidney, we as a family were hopeful that the cancer was eradicated from his body.  
For many years there was no sign of cancer as he maintained checkups, CT scans, bloodwork, etc.  In September 2016, Michael was rediagnosed with metastasized renal cancer on his lung and brain. 
Beginning October 2016, he began the journey of radiation treatment therapy to reduce the leisions in his brain and lungs.  Following radition treatment he began a daily pill regimen of chemo. 
Unfortunately, during his cancer battle, Michael was struck with a necrotic gallbladder and began to develop fatal bloodclots in his lungs and legs. 
During the treatment for the infected gallbladder, we had learned that the cancer had spread to his spine, but was stablized.   Also, during this time Michael suffered several bouts of pneumonia and developed COPD.  
Shortly after the treatments of the aforementioned illnesses, Michael developed neuropathy, which caused intense pain.  Also, during this time he went into a diabetic shock, which was caused from a combination of his lack of appetite and medication regimen.  
For a short time, it seemed as though Michael was back on track with his recovery, we had learned that the lesions on his brain and lungs had shrunk, which made us all hopeful for a full recovery. 
In late August of 2017 and the months to follow, Michael begn to experience intense leg pain, had pancretic bile stints removed from the gallbladder removal, at which point he began to exhibit a confused state of mind.  
On October 8, 2017, Michael was rushed to the hospital for stroke like symptoms.  Through several examinations and tests we had discovered that he didn't have a stroke and the symptoms could have been attributed to new medication.  
On  October 16, after speaking with his radiation oncologist, we learned that the cancer in his spine had become unstablized and a new mass had formed under his sternum.  It was also speculated that the chemo medication was no longer effective and the cancer cells infiltrated into the brain fluid.  
We were advised that any ongoing treatment could be detrimental to his health, but could alleviate the pain without a guarantee of recovery from the cancer.  
After much deliberation and heartache, we as a family had to make the unfortunate decision to cease all treatment and to transition our dad into hospice care . 
Our dad, Michael, was transitioned into hospice care on October 17th.  After spending time with friends and family, Michael went peacefully on Saturday, October 21st.  
Michael fought valiently and his good-heartedness and sense of humor never diminished.  At the time of his passing, he was surrounded by his loving wife, sons and daughters, and grandchildren.  
We greatly appreciate donations that can be made in his honor, as it will help ease financial stress during this time of grieving.
  • Alicia Lopez 
    • $75 
    • 46 mos
  • Honour & Jeff W 
    • $100 
    • 46 mos
  • Gayla & Angus M 
    • $75 
    • 46 mos
  • Pierce&Eric Streeter 
    • $40 
    • 46 mos
  • Robert Gordon 
    • $50 
    • 46 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Marisa McLeod 
Phoenix, AZ
Dylan Luque 
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more