Medical care and expenses for Brittany & Caroline

My name is Brittany Deeds and my husband Dennis and I have been married for 12 years. I went in to be induced with baby Caroline on Friday April 12th. We were both giddy with excitement and ready for a smooth delivery. Things started out wonderfully but while pushing baby Caroline's heart rate dropped and stayed low. She also had inhaled meconium. The OB team decided to move me to the OR to remove her using forceps. On the way to the OR I had an umbilical cord prolapse. I remember the doctors saying we are now moving to emergency surgery. I heard them shout that Caroline was born at 4:10am. But then there was the most deafening silence. She made no noise and I never saw her. Dennis later told me that they had to intubate Caroline because she wasn't breathing. Then they wheeled me to recovery and Dennis went to the NICU to meet Caroline. In recovery it felt like chaos and the doctors went to move me and a massive amount of blood came out. Next thing I knew I was back in the OR due to massive Postpartum hemorrhaging. They were trying to find the artery causing the bleeding. They went in through an artery in my left arm but had to back out and go in through another area. My blood loss was so significant I received 8 bags of blood during the second surgery. Dennis was allowed to see me after the surgery while I was waiting on radiology. I remember him saying there was a chance of a hysterectomy if they couldn't control the bleeding. The radiology team confirmed that they were able to stop the bleeding and I didn't need a hysterectomy. I then was sent to the ICU for recovery. I remember telling the nurses that my arms/hands felt weird. At first they thought it was just body positioning from the surgeries. After a few more hours my left hand felt like it was going to explode. They discovered no pulse in my hand and rushed me away for surgery number 3. It turns out that during surgery 2 they tried to use my artery for the embolism but it didn't work and when they backed out it caused many blood clots in my left arm. When I was taken back to the OR they tried to do a nerve block which ended up spreading too far and I wasn't able to breathe. Because of that, the anesthesiologist had to intubate me fast without numbing medicine and while awake. After that I was taken back to the ICU and remained intubated for nearly half a day. I then spent Sunday - Tuesday afternoon in the ICU. Tuesday afternoon they moved me to the postpartum wing which is right next to the NICU. Tuesday night I met my baby girl for the first time. I remember crying tears of joy just to lay eyes on her. The doctors ordered an MRI for Caroline to asses the potential brain damage due to the lack of oxygen during her birth. They had to put her on a cooling blanket in order to reduce swelling in the brain. We were able to hold Caroline for the first time on Friday night, 6 days after her birth. She is officially a week old and we are waiting on more test results and for her to successfully start feeding before we know more about her release. At a minimum she will need Physical Therapy for 2 years to monitor for developmental delays. We normally never ask for help but the medical bills alone for the NICU stay, my 3 surgeries, and Caroline's continued medical care are going to be insurmountable. Thank you for any help you can offer, we appreciate all the prayers and support.
  • Ryan Severance
    • $150 
    • 44 mos
  • John Hite
    • $50 
    • 44 mos
  • David Bright
    • $200 
    • 44 mos
  • Pat & Nancy McCall
    • $200 
    • 44 mos
  • Anonymous
    • $50 
    • 44 mos
See all

Fundraising team: Deeds Family (3)

Ashleigh Picotte
Raised $3,150 from 4 donations
Burlington, NC
Brittany Deeds
Dennis Deeds
Team member

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.