Maverick the GSD’s fight for Life!

My 3 year old German Shepherd Puppy is exactly that. A puppy. He is the biggest sweetheart with the loudest bark. He and his human (my daughter Brianna) are inseparable.

On the day before Valentine’s Day I noticed he kept vomiting. Unable to keep anything down nor was he able to pass a bowel movement. I decided to take him to BEVS in South Burlington. We walked in they got us right in, took an X-ray, and told us they didn’t see bloat or a blockage so they sent us home with an already administered anti-nausea med. ($322)

The next day he continued to vomit. Not interested in food water or treats, which was extremely rare for Mr. Maverick. I ended up bringing him back to BEVS. They sedated him, took 6 more X-rays and again stated they weren’t concerned about a blockage. However, they did notice a linear shaped object but were unsure of what it could be. Again, they sent us home with an already administered anti-nausea med and pain medication that would last through the evening. ($913)

February 15, 2018 I woke up to several piles of vomit throughout the house, all of which looked like white foam. He was more lethargic and was not acting himself. I called my local vet Petitbrook to see if they noticed anything on the X-rays from BEVS. Immediately they stated it looked like a blockage and thought exploratory surgery would be beneficial in his current state. We had the surgery completely with several foreign bodies removed. We ended up determining the foreign objects were several tampons and bunched up paper towels. The vet said I had the option of taking him home and monitoring him or leaving him there to sit in a kennel all night, unmonitored. I chose to bring him home. ($2,500)

During the time of taking him home and yesterday (2/18/2018) he seemed to be doing well. Eating a little bit, drinking water, and he was beginning to act himself again.

Today (2/19/2018) I noticed his demeanor changed again. He was seeming more depressed and the vomiting restarted. He was declining. I called the vet and had him seen immediately. The wonderful veterinarian at Petitbrook sedated him and the worst was yet to come.

She came out with the news of a 105 fever (normal range is 101-102) and a rapid spreading infection in his abdomen. She gave us three options.

Option 1. Take him back to BEVS for another surgery to clean out the infection and start over. This visit was also quoted at $10,000.

Option 2. Take him to Peak Vet for the same surgery and post op care starting at $6000.

Option 3. Put him down

I am at a loss. He is family. He is the animal that makes me smile after a long hard day at Nursing School. He is the goofy pup that weighs 150 pounds but wants to be on your lap. He is the pup that won’t let his little human out of his sight. Wherever she sleeps, he sleeps. He is the best pup ever and we don’t want to say goodbye.

Any amount will be more than greatly appreciated. We just need to get him through this surgery and on the mend.

I can’t even begin to explain how hard it is to ask for money, when I too am struggling with this current economy.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help and/or able to pass this along to friends.


 See top
  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 38 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 38 mos
  • Lori Berthiaume 
    • $5 
    • 38 mos
  • Donna Demag-Cross 
    • $25 
    • 38 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 38 mos
See all


Liz Nichols 
Colchester, VT
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more