Our nephew, Mateo, was born to my brother and his wife (Lester and Sandra Silla) on March 4th and has had many complications following his birth. He has been transferred to CHLA (Children's Hospital Los Angeles) so they can further manage his care.
This is what we know so far about Mateo's condition:
1. Acute Renal Failure - Mateo will start dialysis until expected recovery of function.
2. Acute Gastric Perforation - Mateo had surgery to repair his intestines and has been on antibiotics to prevent sepsis. So far, bleeding has been controlled and infection has been prevented.
3. Imperforate Anus - Mateo will need a colostomy bag until doctors are able to reconstruct it.
4. Seizures - Mateo is taking anti-convulsants (anti-seizure medication). Doctors are still not sure what is causing seizures and are doing tests to find out.
5. Anemia - Mateo has already had several blood transfusions and will continue to have them as needed.
Mateo will need to continue these treatments and will stay in the hospital during this time. We are unable to anticipate what sort of care he will need beyond this. The family’s out of pocket expenses with insurance will be approximately $5,000. We are kindly asking for any donation to help our nephew and his family. All donations will go directly to Mateo's mom and dad (Lester and Sandra) to pay for Mateo's hospital bills and any additional money raised will be used towards Mateo’s aftercare.
Please keep Lester, Sandra, Liam, and Mateo in your prayers and thank you so much, Othello and Jesica Silla