After The Fire - A New Home

In 2013 I bought a house. Not big news for many people but HUGE for me - because I was faced with the choice of homelessness in my elder years; cramped community living or moving miles out from Melbourne. I managed to convince the bank to give me a small loan and armed with that and the small amount of money I got from the meagre superannuation I had, I bought a house...

Miles from Melbourne, maybe, but... all mine! And the banks lol.

Not just any house. A gorgeous 1917 original Federation home. Filled with period features, she became my home. Somewhere I could grow old and die. Somewhere I could finally call MY home... I filled her with my beautiful treasures - my artwork, my friends artwork, my collected artwork. I filled her with books and music and gorgeous Chinese rugs and antique furniture. I hung crystals in her stunning timber double sash windows with the unique green and gold glass tops. I decorated her art nouveau and art deco fireplace mantels. I fell in love with her and in doing so, began to heal from years of stress and suffering.

On June 28, a lithium battery pack for an electric bike caught fire while charging and exploded, filling my beautiful front guest room where my friend was staying with exploding lithium cell batteries - it was like being in a war zone, with flash bang grenades going off and starting fires everywhere. It was terrifying. Horrific. Unbelievably cruel and fast.

In a few short minutes, my house burned and I lost everything.  Everything except our lives and my beautiful cat Mister Tigger. I am so grateful that we all got out.

I was insured, but I was underinsured. I'd been about to increase my insurances on the 1st July. That never happened. My policy was 'like for like' which I didn't know meant that it was the replacement value for a Federation style dwelling the same as mine, not a normal 2 bedroom weatherboard house.  

Please, check your policies. Make sure you add on your mortgage to your sum insured - the insurance companies pay the banks out first and you get whats left. If you're not insured, please get some. And get fire extinguishers and fire blankets, too - you never know when you will need them.

So while I'm insured and I will, one day, be recompensed monetarily for some of what I have lost, that money will never replace what I really lost - my home. My art. My life. So many things gone. I'm still so shocked and hurt and angry and filled with grief. I'm living in temporary accommodation until the house is demolished. I don't know where I'll go to after that or where I'll live or how. But I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Many of you suggested I set up a campaign but I kept saying there are so many more people more deserving of help than I. But I understand now that many of you can only give IF I allow myself to receive and so I have set up this campaign for you to help me in whatever way you can. I am so grateful for everything that comes to me, so very grateful.

Thank you, much love, many blessings
Marg
www.fullcirclemandalas.weebly.com

Donations

 See top
  • Anonymous 
    • $35 
    • 62 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 62 mos
  • Mark Jarvis 
    • $20 
    • 62 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 62 mos
  • Judy Wolff 
    • $20 
    • 62 mos
See all

Organizer

Marg Thomson 
Organizer
Balmattum, VIC
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more