Hi my name is Jasmine Kurz,
I am Makos mom. Mako is a 4 month old Golden-doodle who recently got diagnosed with Gastro enteritis and Addison’s disease.
Last Monday September 21st, I noticed Mako wasn’t acting normal. He had diarrhea and I didn’t think much of it thinking he probably ate something he shouldn’t have. Then days went by and he still had diarrhea by Thursday I was like okay time to call the vet. They took him in Friday and gave us medicine to help with diarrhea. Saturday Mako stopped eating (which is very odd because he loves to eat) so I really started to worry. Sunday night we were up all night because he started throwing up (he threw up 6 times). Our vet said if he starts throwing up to bring him in immediately. Monday we called first thing in the morning and we brought him in. They said to leave him and they will call us when he’s ready. He ended up staying 10am - 5:30pm. I was so stressed and worried waiting on a phone call hoping it would all be good news. The vet said he didn’t look good, his Respiratory rate resting should be 30-40 but it was 70-80, he’s in a lot of pain, huffing and puffing, his X-rays made him worry and he recommends if we can afford financially to go immediately to Capital Veterinary Specialists in Jacksonville. So of course we will do anything for this sweet boy no matter how much we have to pay to make sure he’s healthy and can live a long life. We picked him up and immediately drove to Jacksonville. The specialist Dr.Shih did an ultrasound which revealed several things including his adrenal gland being very small which led to him finding Addison’s disease, gastro enteritis (infectious), and moving FB. His intestines are fluid filled with pockets as well. After a few hours of the tests Dr.Shih ran he recommended an over night stay for Mako or an outpatient route to come back Thursday for a follow up and more test. We wanted to bring Mako home because we know how stressed he gets when he can’t be with us. Mako has 5 new medications he is on to try to improve his symptoms. Today Tuesday September 29th he started his medications, he won’t eat much of anything and we are waiting for our vet to call us when he receives the results from the Capital Veterinary specialist so they can tell us what our nexts steps will be with them here in town.
In less than 24hours we spent almost 2,000 dollars. Do I have that kind of money.. no. Will I do whatever it takes to make sure this baby gets all the care he needs.. yes. We have more tests and rechecks all week that will only cost more money. If his symptoms don’t improve he willhave to stay at the emergency vet clinic over night for who knows how many days. I feel gutted. I feel scared. I just want to be there with him but sadly due to covid I have to sit in my car for hours waiting for results.
I know how much many of you love Mako and will want to help, so I opened a GoFundMe page to help towards his medical bills. If everyone gave $1, that would more than cover the expenses. And if a contribution is too much to ask at this time, a prayer for Mako is equally valuable. Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts and know that we love you. #MAKOSTRONG
- sarah defore
- Jeremy Klipstine