Structural Engineering Students for Haiti strives to improve Haitian construction techniques and provide educational tools for Haitian construction workers by working collaboratively on seismic retrofit projects and demonstrating effective and important structural improvements.
- Social/ Service Goals
- To develop a holistic viewpoint of engineering education that considers the humanitarian aspects of buildings.
- To recognize the complexity of issues such as poverty and their effects on buildings.
- To gain knowledge on culture, geography, economy, history, and peoples of a new region of the world.
2. Engineering Goals
- To experience first-hand the effects of poorly designed buildings in seismically active areas.
- To gain knowledge on building methods and building materials of a new region of the world.
- To encourage ethical choices when engineering future structures.
3. Leadership Goals
- To develop interactive teaching skills by presenting information in a clear, instructive, and understandable manner.
- To expand teamwork abilities.
- To encourage students to take initiative.
- To plan and execute numerous trips by communicating with non-governmental organizations, stakeholders, and peers.
Haitian Community Goals:
- To positively affect a community for an extended period of time that outlasts the time spent on the ground.
- To use native materials in more effective ways.
- To assist an established, native non-governmental organization.
Our current project:
- Shoaf Family
- Bret & Regina Grigsby
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more