On February 4, 2015, in a matter less than 15 minutes, Erica, Larry and Christopher Meadows of Knoxville, TN lost everything they had and became homeless. Literally everything, except the clothes on their backs was lost in the raging fire. They are extremely grateful no one was hurt, but are now left with nowhere to live and very few resources.
This family of three were struggling to get by before the fire and now are in a desperate situation. Larry has been battling MS (Multiple Sclerosis) for over 9 years, and although he worked cleaning offices during the early stages of the disease, he is now physically unable to work. He is a stay at home Dad who always takes the time to help Christopher with his school work. Erica works as many hours as she can get for J.C. Penney’s, mostly unloading trucks, but is still part time. They both love their son so much and want the best for him. They were just beginning to get their heads above water after years of struggling, and now what little they had is gone. Christopher is a lovable young boy with such an optimistic outlook, bravely telling everyone that it will be okay and that he is just happy no one got hurt. Erica works so hard, is a loving mother and can take a little and make it a lot.
The fire happened at 3:30 in the afternoon. Larry was at the double-wide trailer they were renting on Luke Valley Way in Knoxville. He was on the phone with his wife Erica who was driving home from work. Their son Christopher, almost 9 years old, was on the school bus headed home. Larry heard a loud popping and crackling sound and stepped out onto their porch to find it engulfed in flames. He went to get their kitchen fire extinguisher to try to fight the blaze, but it wouldn't work and by now the flames had quickly traveled to the trailer. The fire department arrived, but there was no fire hydrant anywhere and by the time the second fire truck arrived with water, it was too late. The home had literally burned to the ground in less than 15 minutes. Everything gone.
This family needs our help. Anything you can contribute toward helping them rebuild their lives would be so appreciated. The Red Cross gave them two nights in a hotel and some money to buy a change of clothes and personal grooming items. But they will need so much more to be able to find a place to live, pay rent, security deposit, electricity and water deposits, food, furniture, clothing....everything to start over. Unfortunately they had no renter's insurance and the landlord is not helping at all, even refusing to return the rent money for the remainder of this month. Any amount you can give, no matter how small, will help. This page has been set up by the family as a safe and secure way to make donation. You can be assured that the money will be used wisely to purchase those basic things that we all have to have to survive....a roof over their heads, heat, water, clothes and food. Let’s surround them with love and show them that goodness really can shine through the dark.
Please feel free to contact the family for further information.
- Jenna Wade Stronkowsky
- Anita Lowndes
- Adria McLaughlin
- Thomas & Iris Boshell
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more