Chris Lee Medical Fund

I'm (his sister) setting this account up to help Chris with medical and living expenses during this difficult time.  He has been off work and in the hospital since December 28, 2015.  He, as well as the doctors, have no idea when he will be healthy enough to return to work.

The Story
Chris was admitted to the hospital on the 28th for dehydration, low red blood cell count, and a lesion found during a CT scan on his colon.  He was initially given fluids and blood to help him "feel better", and medicines to prepare him for a colonoscopy.  On New Years Eve morning he was taken in for a colonoscopy, and a tube was placed into his stomach to drain it because of fluid bloat. Within 2 hours of returning to his room. All "hell" broke loose and he was rushed to ICU.   His heart rate spiked,  blood pressure bottomed out because his bowel had exploded.  For a lack of better terminology; he exploded on the inside.  He was rushed to emergency surgery.  The family was told surgery would last 1-2 hours.  Three hours later he was out of surgery.

The doctor (Dr. Green), came to talk to us ( his family).  He was a "shitty " mess he says and lucky to be alive.  During surgery they removed a portion of the bowel that had erupted, cleaned him out the best they could, had to put on a colostomy bag, and removed a tumor (cancer) from his colon.  We could see him once they got him settled in ICU, he was in critical condition, and we were given NO long term prognosis.  Some time later mom and I were allowed to see him, but could not speak to him or touch him...he needed to relax.  He was "asleep" and on a ventilator.  

Chris woke up on his own Saturday; which shocked everyone!  He did not remember what happened the night before, knew us, but was far from out of the woods.  The next 5 days he stayed on the ventilator, which means he can't talk.   He communicated by writing us notes (although they were hard to make out because of swelling).  Over he next few days he made progress in the right direction.  They put in a central line for fluids and meds, and had to continuously clean and change his dressing on the incision sight, because they weren't able to close it.  Over the next few days he's given several units of blood, plasma, and other various fluids.  As he is able, the nurses slowly got him out of bed to sit in a chair, and he started eating a little bit.  He progressed enough and after 2 weeks in ICU they moved him to a regular room.   

Now in in a regular room he is starting physical therapy and even though he has no appetite a regular diet.  On Wednesday, January 20th the put a wound vac on his incision.  This will help in the healing process and has to be changed less often then regular dressings.   On Friday the 22nd the let him go "home" to moms house.  He can't leave and be at home alone.   He is told he will have visiting nurses and physical therapist visit at home.  He relaxed at moms over the weekend.

Monday afternoon, the visiting nurse came to the house.      His heart rate was in the 120s, concerned she called the doctor and was told he needed to get the ER immediately.  He was re-admitted to the hospital on the 25th because of a blood clot in his lung.    They say it's an after effect of surgery.  They start him on blood thinners and watch him closely.  He's not allowed out of bed...which if you know Chris he's not one to stay down.  

As I write this it's now Feb. 2nd and he's still in the hospital.  They got him up yesterday and all he could stand to do was walk to the room door and sit in a chair for a few minutes.   

Onice he gets his strength back, his nutrition level up and is feeling better, he will have to undergo chemotherapy for the tumor that was removed.  His doctors still don't have a long term prognosis for us.  

I am am setting this account up to help him pay medical bills, that we know will be outrageous.  It will also help him pay for his living expenses as he is not able to work.  Our mom has been sayin with him as much as hospital as much as possible, which means she's also missing work.  I go visit when I can, but live a distance a way.  Any donations would be greatfully appreciated by Chris and our family.

He he appreciates visitors if you have a few minutes to stop in and say hi.  He is at Sarah Bush Lincoln Hospital.  
  • Keith Morrisson 
    • $100 
    • 62 mos
  • Kathy Brewer 
    • $50 
    • 63 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 64 mos
  • Shawna Webb 
    • $50 
    • 64 mos
  • Alicia Dunham 
    • $100 
    • 64 mos
See all


Kara Lee Metzger 
Charleston, IL
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more