Life after Charlie

In July of 2017 our father, Charlie, was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. It was a very aggressive form of lung cancer that was in both lungs, lymph-nodes, liver and bones. He was hospitalized so he could immediately start chemotherapy. After his first doses of chemo he felt great so we were hopeful. He was released from the hospital a week later and would continue his treatments at the cancer center in Hazleton. He would go for 3 doses in a week every 3 weeks for a total of 5 treatments.  In October he was hospitalized again because of a blood clot in his neck which could have been deadly. Luckily the hospital treated him quickly and he was released after 3 days. Then in November it was his wife, Roberta (our mother) who would be hospitalized. She suffered a mini stroke which caused her to lose half of her eyesight. Because of this she required physical therapy. She was in the hospital for 19 days before being released and would continue at home physical therapy until she gained her strength back and learned how to adjust to only having half her eyesight. Things seemed to be going ok after that for both of them. Dad finished his 5th treatment and went for a scan to see how the chemo was working. Unfortunately it wasn't working as well as we hoped and they found 2 spots on his brain.
So it was off to radiation to keep that from spreading. He needed 10 days of radiation then the doctors would do more scans and go from there. During radiation dad's health seemed to be getting worse. He lost his voice, was constantly nauseous and growing weak. He finished radiation on January 4, 2018 but there was no improvement over the next few days. On January 9,2017 dad fell trying to get up out of bed. He was very weak and his oxygen level was low with an increased pulse. All signs of dehydration, so we took him to the ER. He was admitted into the hospital and was given fluids and they began to run tests. We thought that's all he would need and would be out of the hospital in a day or two. By 7:00pm we were told by the doctors that dad had taken a turn for the worse and we would have to make a very difficult decision. If he should be ventilated or not. So this was it our worst fear right in front of us and there was nothing anyone could do. There's no coming back from this. Ventilating is only prolonging the inevitable. It's not what he would of wanted and neither did we. He passed away at 11:25am January 10, 2018 surrounded by people he loved.
Now our mother is left without her husband and best friend for the past 50 years. And is left with outrageous medical bills that just continue to pile up. While money will not bring back her husband or fill the void that has been left, it can help relieve some of the stress and worry of how she is going to pay for things. Please help however you can whether it be donating or just simply sharing this.


 See top
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 37 mos
  • Brett&Leah Cockrum 
    • $150 
    • 38 mos
  • Trish Quast  
    • $100 
    • 38 mos
  • Dana Barnabee 
    • $100 
    • 38 mos
  • Laureen Yerves 
    • $225 
    • 38 mos
See all


Amanda Saieva 
McAdoo, PA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more