I am a person who has several diagnosed disabilities, unfortunately or fortunately they are invisible. There are things that I can't do on my own and I have to ask for others help and understanding.
I am most humbly here to ask for your help and understanding. I am trying to stand up for what's right. I know I can't change the entire system, but I believe that I can change things for the better.
I am a disabled person, who is Metis(Aboriginal and French Canadian), I am on permanent disability, and a university student. I do not come from a wealthy family, nor am I well off financially. I am a private and proud person, so to ask for help is hard, to do it so publicly is incredibly difficult. I am trying to better myself and give back.
I have been diagnosed with autism, ADHD, and complex regional pain syndrome.
I have spent quite some time fighting with a system that has little compassion for invisible disabilities. Even less so for those who can't afford to have a lawyer by their side. I have spent a lot of time finding out that there is no legal aid or assistance in Saskatchewan when you get into this area of law.
The short form of what I've experienced:
- I've been subjected and forced to live/work by different rules than my peers. Then I was named as the reason they started applying the rules to everyone.
- I have been told autistic people speak a different language.
- I had my disability used to deny me compensation and advancement officially. I had it written into my employment reviews. I was denied financial and other benefits because I failed to smile or make eye contact with customers.
- I've been told that because I don't make proper eye contact or behave like a 'normal' honest person, I'm not trustworthy and have to be taken as less than a normal person.
- I was fired for standing up against being discriminated against by my managers and others.
- When I complained they would punish me by cutting my hours, so I wouldn't be scheduled for weeks in retaliation .
- I was open with London Drugs and it's management from the day I was hired about being autistic.
- The actions of the company have left me in a state of great financial difficulty, depression, physically injured, and I have had my reputation pulled through the gutter.
Who I am against:
Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission London Drugs Ltd.
I am asking for donations so that I can afford to pay a lawyer to take my issue before the courts.
The reason being that I have gone to Human Rights here in Saskatchewan, Canada. The entire process I experienced was horrible. There was an incredible bias towards my former employer. There was open aggression towards me, and it's quite abusive at times.
The decision from the SHRC took 3 years for me to get. The decision was an affirmation of institutional discrimination against those with autism. The decision after careful review has several issues, there is no mention of decisions which support my complaint, there is a lack of reference to any submitted evidence or statements that support my complaint. It was based on a biased process, with staff who were supposed to be impartial, openly advocating for the company. Mine and other's statements which were made in my support, were twisted to support the company. Corrections were submitted but I was told they wouldn't tell me if the corrections were used in the decision process. The decision was made in a way that specifically limited me to only one method of challenge which requires a lawyer.
To successfully fund the lawyer and have them start the judicial review process of the SHRC decision. It will have a Judge review all of the evidence, corrected statements, processes and final decision. With the hopeful out come being that the judge will overturn the decision.
The result of the overturning of the decision will be both vindication and validation for myself that how they treated me was wrong and unacceptable. It will also be for those who have suffered discrimination at work and will be a step towards equality in the workplace for disabled people.
The wrap up:
I am at the point where I can't fight against this alone any further. I am asking for your help to let me stand against these wrongs and to help make the future better.
》The above are my unprofessional personal opinions and nothing has been proven in court. The only part that is agreed to by myself and London Drugs is that they terminated my employment without just cause. 《
Thank you again for taking the time to read and consider my campaign.