It all started a few days ago with my buddy looking a little bit tired towards the end of the night. Stupidly, I associated it with the time of day despite the obvious fact that he was a lot more fatigued than typically.
However, by the morning the next day it was apparent something was terribly wrong. He struggled to stand up by himself and shook periodically.
Quickly, we took him to the vet and due to the cost at the time we were only able to get him some basic aid in the form of an iv shots and two different medicines meant for parasites and pain. However, the vets mentioned that there was a possibility that all of this was in part due to heavy metal poisoning.
Just two days ago I believed that he was going to make a recovery and that it was all just a parasite that he had just ate. However, he clearly was not feeling better and we decided to take him to another bird clinic.
After the examinations it was determined to indeed be heavy metal poisoning. It was determined to be fragments of lead after an x-ray. He was also heavily anemic only having a third of his red blood cells remaining. We've already spent thousands on the hospitalization and medicine and it is unlikely we will be able to afford the surgical removal of the fragments.
It would mean the world if I could receive some help to save my buddy.
- Joey Cha
- Brady Meehan
- Trevor Klein
Santa Ana, CA