Here's what this is about:
Today is the day! I've been talking/dreaming about becoming certified as a trauma sensitive yoga instructor for a couple of months. It's always been a job/hobby/passion that I've admired but never something I considered for myself until recently.
Over the last year or two, I started learning more and more about how connected our physical bodies are to our emotional, spiritual, mental health (as well as physical health, obviously) and I really wanted to explore ways that something physical could help me with my own anxiety, healing from past experiences, and general well-being. I kept hearing and reading about yoga as an amazing tool for exactly that, but I wasn't able to find as many resources as I expected to find online or in my area.
When my friend, Jordan, sent me a link to Holy Yoga's Trauma Sensitive training program, saying "thought you would think this is cool!" I couldn't stop thinking about joining.
Here's a link to information about the program I'm doing:
First Time Yoga Instructor Training:
Trauma Sensitive Training:
I decided to jump in for 2 reasons:
1. I want the trauma sensitive yoga training for my own well-being, and I do well with goals, like "get certified."
2. It really has been a challenge to find good resources for this around here, and I'm in one of the largest cities in the nation. Something like this should be easily accessible here! How many more people would benefit from this kind of training? I really want to get certified so that in the end I can be a resource for people who also suffer from the effects past trauma or anxiety or just want to be "well." My other big passion is social media, so I plan on combining the two and bringing everything I learn to the internet for others to learn from too!
Why I chose Holy Yoga's program:
I like the Holy Yoga program because most of it can be done from home during their online, live classes, especially right now during the COVID crisis.
They're also one of the only programs I've seen to offer trauma-sensitive training in addition to basic-training. I have a friend who has done the trauma-sensitive training and recommended it overall, so that was the confirmation I needed. Since yoga can be a spiritual practice, I also love that this program incorporates my Christian faith.
I will do Basic Training for 2 hours once a week, starting either May, June or August 2020, depending on funds!
I have already started the Trauma sensitive training thanks to your generous giving! This is a do-at-your-own-pace program, but will likely take about 9 weeks.
Breakdown of the cost:
- Basic Training Costs -$3345
- Trauma-sensitive Training Costs - $675
- Licensing Fee - $47.97
- Fees taken by GoFundMe 2.7% + $0.30 per donation (so approximately $150)
- Equipment $100 (yoga mat, yoga clothes, required reading)
Some resources that have inspired me to do this:
- The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk
- Healing The Wounded Heart by Thom Gardner
Would love to talk more one on one if you have any questions about what I'm doing, or my story!
- Monica Brown
- Missy Camacho
- Adrian Santos
- Elizabeth Wieland
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more