Our family arrived to be given a 10% chance Mike would make it. We were devasated. Jessica kept telling us, she needed more time, as they were only married 11 months ago.
It seemed every minute in the hospital they were discovering something new that was going on with Mike, and the chances of him surviving were bleak. We were holding up all of our prayers and positive energy to anyone that would hear it.
By day two we knew Mike had Diabetes Type1, with no family history and no signs prior to this, issues with his pancreas, kidneys, and heart. He also had a staph infection, which was not helping these other problems heal. The Medical team is doing an amazing job and we were starting to see little victories. And the doctor raised his chance of survival to 50/50.
What can only be explained as some sort of miracle, Mike is doing well today. He is still in ICU, but is off the ventilator, keeping his blood pressure up, fever down, and heart rate steady. He is on dialysis for his kidneys and 6 weeks of antibiotics for the staph infection.
Jess and Mike were closing on a house on July 16th, but with Mike not returning to work anytime soon and mounting medical bills, they had to let it go. These are not things that should happen to a young newly wed couple. They should be starting their lives together, not dealing with near death and a huge amount of financial struggle that awaits them when he gets out. Having served two tours in Iraq, my sister has seen enough death and distruction in her young life, and I can't explain the feeling of thinking she would have to see her husband go.
Anyone who knows them, knows they are hardworking, loyal, wonderful people that just want to be happy and laughing. If you have anything extra you could donate to their cause, it would be a blessing. With American/Canadian laws and Mike living here and working there, insurance was not a feesible option. They will have bills from 6+weeks in the hospital, ambulance, speciality doctors, after care and physical therapy, and the chance of ongoing dialysis.
Feel free to ask me any questions and I will continue to update on Mike's condition.
We are not out of the woods yet, but we have found the trail.