Jeff's Medical Fund

Jeff's Caring Bridge Site On October 10 of 2017, Jeff went to the ER and a chest x-ray confirmed a case of  pneumonia.   However, it also revealed a suspicious mass located near his heart and upper left lung.   A CT scan was then ordered which immediately raised some red flags.   A week of doctors appointments followed, eventually ending with a biopsy order with interventional radiology at the U of M.  Following the biopsy, the waiting began.  After four days Jeff was told the mass was a large,  benign tumor, and the diagnosis was Thymoma.   While benign, the mass was large and extensive.  U of M Thoracic Surgeons recommended it be removed immediately.  Surgery was scheduled for November 7.   The procedure went well, but there were some complications. The incision was made through his sternum and across his left rib cage.  The tumor was about the size of a grapefruit and had started to attach to the nerve that controls his vocal chords as well as the nerve that controls his left diaphragm. Because they had to scrape the nerve that controls his vocal chords, his left vocal chord is currently paralyzed. This means he is only able talk in a whisper.  The tumor was wrapped around his phrenic nerve that controls the left diaphram and unfortunately needed to be completely removed, resulting in the need for a left diaphram plication.  This limits his ability to take deep breaths and has made breathing difficult.   The tumor on the pericardium (membrane enclosing the heart) was irritated as they scraped the cells off.  The right side of his heart swelled and was beating very fast. We were told later that it was similar to a heart attack. They also found a small blood clot in his right lung, and believe this was caused by the stress his body endured from the surgery.  After a week spent in the hospital, Jeff was finally able to come home.  Unfortunately, the recovery has not been as quick as he would like due to continued pain, extreme fatigue, and shortness of breath.    This, in addition to his lack of voice, has inhibited his ability to return to his job as a Kindergarten teacher and a hockey referee.      Currently, Jeff is attending pulmonary rehabilitation and speech therapy. It could take 9-12 months before we know if his voice will return, or if the nerve damage is permanent. Additionally, he continues to struggle with a rapid heartbeat, despite taking medications for this.  It is unknown at this time when Jeff will be able to return to work. It is taking its toll emotionally as well as financially on Jeff and his family. That is why I am asking for your help to support my daughter, son-in-law, and their three children.  Any amount you are able to give will help them as they struggle financially.  Thank you for your prayers, love, and support, Barbara Lueck
  • Linda Droogsma 
    • $50 
    • 53 mos
  • Randy Renner 
    • $50 
    • 55 mos
  • Kent Johnson 
    • $200 
    • 55 mos
  • Jerry and Barbara Peterson 
    • $150 
    • 55 mos
  • Sharon and Russ Nixon 
    • $150 
    • 55 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Barbara Clemons Lueck 
Princeton, MN
Jeffrey Beckers 

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.