Jaye Hess’ Funeral Expenses

As many or most of you know, the Hess family lost a very important and special person on May 1, 2018 (Tuesday). Jaye Hess, 43 years old, called 911 late Sunday night/early Monday morning from a wrenching pain in his abdomen. Upon arrival at Rowan Regional Medical Center, he was automatically admitted in the ICU for pancreatitis. With the thought and intention that he would be treated and sent home on Monday, unfortunately unexpected events were to follow. Mid Monday afternoon the infection had already reached his blood stream, causing his blood to be highly acidic. Due to those circumstances, his organs were not receiving the blood flow they needed to keep him going, which caused him to code (flatline). They were able to bring him back, however, could not get his blood pressure to come back up even with the use of 4 different medications on their max dosage, and also causing his liver enzymes to reach a little over 2,000. They then inserted a breathing tube in his mouth because he was breathing but not deep enough, nor often enough, to depend on himself. A couple hours after that he coded (flatlined) a second time. At this point, they were able to bring him back again, but it took longer, and caused multi-organ failure. His liver enzymes reached over 7,000 and completely shut down. With the multi-organ failure, his lungs, heart, kidneys, and liver were all failing and/or shut down. His body temperature was at 95 degrees, but due to his condition they did not want to attempt to rise his temp because they deemed that safe to attempt to preserve his organs. On Tuesday morning (May 1st), he was not progressing but worsening, the doctor had made it very clear that he had not seen or witnessed someone in his years of being in the medical field that was so sick that his body would not allow him to progress. His body temperature shortly after lowered to 92 degrees and his kidneys then shut down. The brothers and sister of Jaye were put in the position at this point where they had to make a decision because it was made clear that if Jaye flatlined again, it would probably do more harm than good to try and revive him, than what it would be to just let him go peacefully and without suffer. The RN on duty at the time of Jaye’s death approached the family around 4:00pm, and explained to the siblings exactly what was going on with Jaye’s heart and visually showed them on the monitor how his heart was doing and informed them that rather than making a decision and having discussion to just spend time with him, say there final goodbyes and express their love to him as his heart was shutting down. Around 4:25pm, on May 1, 2018 the good Lord called a special person to come home to him. Jaye had been slightly responsive until he flatlined the first time, and then went into an unresponsive stage directly after, so there was no way of any communication to be done as far as what was going to happen or not happen, how the expense would be covered if it were to land in a detrimental situation, etc. The expenses are now in the hands of the family and planning/decisions (legally) of his funeral are now in the hands of his sister, Jennie. Almost a year ago, this family lost their mother, in which all of the siblings and their father chipped in to ensure she had received a procession. When Jaye was called to be with the Lord, behind he left his siblings; Keith Hess (oldest), Jennie Hess Paterno (second oldest), and Gary Hess (19 months apart from Jaye). Also leaving behind his father Lindsay Hess. He was of course an uncle who adored his niece and nephew. Due to the circumstances of the situation, the family has not been able to come up with the funds to grant Jaye the wishes he had following his death. His wishes of course are known, however were not expected to happen at this point of his life considering Jaye was known to be a very strong, and healthy, young man.  Jaye’s wishes were to be buried in the closest plot beside of their younger brother who was a still born birth, “Baby Boy Hess”.

This family has faced so many unexpected events in the past year, and because of that I am reaching out in hopes that they can have some relief. Anything counts. Please do not feel obligated to donate, as I/we are all aware that life can be tough. Whether you are able to donate or just send an uplifting prayer for this family as they face this difficult time would be greatly appreciated in so many ways. Jaye was an outstanding, intelligent, and respectful part of this world. He had a heart of gold, helped anyone in need, and had a sense of humor that would draw anyone’s attention. When he loved, he loved with his whole heart, and gave his all to anyone that had any part of him. Just the few good qualities listed, he deserves (as everyone deserves) to be given the best burial service possible. Again, anything is appreciated whether it be a donation, or an uplifting prayer! Thanks in advance from the family and myself. 


 See top
  • Karen Artz 
    • $75 
    • 28 mos
  • Jackie Adams-Deal  
    • $100 
    • 28 mos
  • Tim Williams  
    • $25 
    • 28 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 28 mos
  • Susan Giessler 
    • $50 
    • 28 mos
See all


Lindsay Ashlyn 
Mooresville, NC
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more