Noah Roberts, age 3, was enjoying the summer in International Falls, Minnesota, when a chain of events started him on an unexpected adventure. He fell and hit his head while riding his bike. His parents suspected a concussion, but an MRI at a local hospital revealed something even more serious – something they would have not been aware of otherwise.
At the end of July, doctors discovered Noah had a cancerous tumor on his brain stem and it was growing. The family was referred to Mayo Clinic, and last month, Noah underwent brain surgery. Afterwards, the Roberts were told that about 90 to 95 percent of the tumor had been removed. The tumor was in a very sensitive region of the nervous system, and they are in "wait and see" mode right now.
Since the first surgery, there have been many setbacks and complications. He has not been able to eat or swallow, and there are concerns about his oxygen levels as he sleeps at night. There have also been issues with the feeding tube and tube placement.
Noah had a second surgery on August 27th, and remained in the PICU on a ventilator until the next day. His nose tube was removed and the Roberts family moved back on the main floor. In the days since the removal, tube issues once again, popped up. On September 1st, Chantill & Joe got word that the surgery did not work. The doctors at Mayo have now tried numerous times to find the correct placement and a way for Noah to eat. Noah had a small surgery on the 4th, making this FOUR surgeries, all stemming from one complication from surgery #1. There have been so many things happening with little Noah from this 4th surgery until now.
The latest update on Noah came from his Mom Chantill (the week of September 10th): "Joe and I received the results of the MRI this morning. Unfortunately, the results are inconclusive. The remaining parts of the tumor are certainly more compact, but this could be from the brain adjusting or it could be from growth. For right now, we are back in “wait and see” mode for another 4-6 weeks. If there were no concerns of infection with the respiratory and G-tube issues, oncology would likely start chemo. It was explained however, if the chemo is going to work that it will still work in 6 weeks. It is a slow growing tumor so there isn't much more risk in waiting, which will give him time to continue to heal."
Not only are Joe & Chantill worried about Noah, but also their other kids. They have 10 children total, 7 of whom are still at home with them. Chantill home schools the kids, but has not been there to do so, as she hasn't left Noah's side from the beginning. Joe is in the service, and is flying in & out as much as possible to be with their other children that are now back in Virginia, and also to Mayo to be with Noah & Chantill. They are working so hard to provide for all of their children, but we all know that it's impossible to be two places at once & to do it all. There is also talk of a possible move happening (they live full time in Leesburg, Virginia), in order for Noah to be closer to this quality care.
Please friends, find it in your heart to help this family. Every little bit helps. And prayers...send them all.