In August of 2014, I was diagnosed with terminal metastatic prostate cancer. Upon seeking a second opinion, it was discovered that the cancer had spread much further than was originally diagnosed and that I also had an unrelated thyroid cancer. Resultantly, I underwent the following operations and treatment:
- November 2014: The initial operation removed my prostate, bladder, 43 lymph nodes, and remaining testicle. This procedure resulted in my receiving a urostomy and having to recover at home for the next 3 months.
- February 2015: February marked the beginning of several weeks of daily (M-F) radiation treatments, which lasted through March.
- May 2015: Post-radiation, I underwent a thyroidectomy, which resulted in the removal of more than 65% of my thyroid.
- June 2015: Biopsy of remaining thyroid, which produced five samples. Four of the samples were inconclusive for cancer and one was negative. Later that month, physicians stated that the thyroid cancer was in remission but would have to be monitored.
- January 2016: Colonoscopy revealed colon damage due to radiation treatments and the resultant diagnosis of radiation proctitis.
- March 2016: Flexible Sigmoidoscopy to treat the remaining lesions in the bowel they did not get during the previous colonoscopy.
- September 2016: Completion Thyroidectomy and Parathyroid Autograft. Tests over the previous months revealed significant growth of the nodules in the remaining thyroid gland.
In the months following his radiation treatments, Rik has been diagnosed with diabetes, hepatitis C, radiation proctitis and is suffering the other resultant physical “problems” related to his cancer treatment and the illnesses. All of these have further increased his medical costs and severely impacted his life.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
While I’m lucky and grateful to be alive, my struggle to survive cancer has come at a considerable financial cost and I need your help. I’m a 63-year-old disabled/retired social worker living on a fixed income and was unprepared to absorb the breadth and depth of medical costs associated with the procedures, treatments, and ongoing examinations to ensure I remain in remission.
Your kind and deeply appreciated donation(s) can help me remain in my home, pay down medical bills, and reduce stress.
Thank you so much!
READ MORE - A special update on 12/14/16 will give more information.
To read my journal, please use the link below:
- Tracey & David Huntley
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more