Knife crime is at an all time high in the UK, with fatal stabbings at its’ highest rate since records began in 1946!!
We just buried one of our brothers who used to attend our classes. He was murdered... shot and stabbed! months before another one of our young brothers who started attending our programs got stabbed in the neck and died
- The number of stabbings has increased 54% in the last 5 years. - A total of 1,012 people aged between 10 and 19 were admitted to hospital with wounds caused by knives or sharp objects last year. - In the month of February 2018, the murder rate in London exceeded that of New York's!! - Just recently, there were 8 reported stabbings in just 15 hours. - In Birmingham, there were 99 stabbing incidents in just 8 weeks.
Something NEEDS to change now! These are our kids and we can’t just sit back and allow more deaths to occur and for them to become just another statistic…
Madting In The Masjid is a project which deals with events relating to young people on the streets and those surrounded by the wrong crowd. Police, parents and schools have been trying to reach out to this crowd for some time with little to no success so far. Alhamdulillah, with the permission of Allah we have been able to reach them.
Just SOME of many such stories of our work impacting the youth, and times where we were actually able to stop real bloodshed and murder include the following:
We recently delivered a talk in Birmingham and at the end, a brother came to talk to us about something. He told us that he was he was actually going to murder someone that day but after hearing what we had to say on the topic, he changed his mind and decided to leave it instead.
In another instance, the friends of someone who had recently been fatally stabbed in an area local to us were ready to take revenge and kill the perpetrators that very night, and even had their weapons and vehicles ready. After attending our event and listening to the lecture, all four of them involved said they decided against it too! Why was this? Because they were learning! They were given spiritual, Islamic solutions to the problems they were facing.
We are also raising money for our sisters projects here too.
Now, we want to make this project bigger, better and stronger. But how can we achieve this?
To reach out to more people, we need a stronger media team.
Currently, we are only really able to affect those who attend our events in real life, but a core and fundamental component of our strategy is to spread our message far and wide, including those who cannot physically attend our events due to either being in different parts of the country or world, and also those who cannot come to certain areas of London due to postcode wars! These brothers are at risk of being killed if they step into the masjid due to the area it’s in!
There was an instance at one of our events where a brother was almost stabbed INSIDE the masjid as he wasn't from the area and some gangs who resided there had issues with him. With the permission of Allah, we were able to diffuse the situation and save the brother from being harmed Alhamdulillah.
Therefore, it is extremely important we invest our efforts heavily in creating more media content so that we can make this information available to access online.
In order to execute this strategy effectively, we need £25,000 which will allow us to:
1. Facilitate resources for the young people to change (for example, pay for training for the individual we are trying to help to get them into legitimite work).
2. Get a professional media team to create quality content.
3. Get an office space so that we can formalise our efforts.
4. Help fund some other projects we are connected to.
5. Pay for other logistical and procedural costs that are needed in order to execute projects, such as travel costs, getting posters made, hiring venues, etc.
6. Pay for professional security at events
In addition to knife crime, we also deal with the issue of drugs and other social and spiritual ills ... with this money, we will also fund our sisters-based projects and start a mentoring program for them too insha'Allah.