I am Martha Tellez, founder of the I Have a Voice Orhans Choir. I was born in Mexico. My family lived in Morelia Michoacan for few years. The city is picturesque, beautiful and alive. The buzzing activity of the people, the markets and music makes it a welcoming place.
On one of my trips back home, I had the opportunity to visit “La Casa de Jesus Para la Proteccion de la Nina” - an orphanage for girls.
I wanted to adopt them all!
When I was growing up I thought, When I get married I will have lots of children. I was married and did not have any children. For many years I thought, “What can I do to help orphans? With money?” I sponsored a child, however, I said to myself, "and what about the others?”
The answer came after I became part of a choir.
My experience while singing has been of an instant connection with all the members, joy, happiness, self expression, confidence, freedom. I feel connected to the universe.
This is when I discovered my voice!
The future is our children. Imagine those children who come from broken families, some have been abused, with low self-esteem, do not trust any one, not feeling loved...what the future will be?
This project is about creating a choir for an orphanage "La Casa de Jesus" in Morelia Michoacán Mexico.
Currently they have 26 girls, ages 6 to 13. I have a voice! provides the possibility for these girls to experience:
• Freedom, connectedness, belonging, self-expression, building self-confidence happiness and joy.
• Knowing themselves as worthy and sufficient, great members of family friends and community.
• Joy, self-expression, connected to the universe, participating in beauty-art and creativity.
• Discipline and learning - knowing that they are capable as they learn to beat the challenge of learning to read music and sing to pitch.
• Partnership and discipline, with a willingness to be coached and experience the joy of learning and growing.
You don't need any skill or instrument to sing...just a voice!
DonationsSee top donations
- Del &Teresa Barrett
- ian huntley
- ian huntley
- Wayne Burtnyk
- Carmen O'Mahony
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more