Hi, my name is Tony Miller, and I am asking for your support for Hotel Workers United. After 15 years of working in hospitality, I was fired for helping hotel workers organize and unionize. A few days later, another hotel manager was fired at the hotel as part of the union-busting tactics deployed by ownership.
As a former executive leader in Virginia's largest hotel ownership group, I saw firsthand how ownership worked diligently, day and night, to grow their wealth at the expense of workers.
I have now decided to spend my time fighting for the rights of Hotel Workers to organize effectively and demand a brighter future for themselves and their families. The system of laws and regulations around the NLRA and the NLRB are complex and antiquated. Your support helps me, other fired employees, and current workers seeking to organize in our pursuit of better working conditions, fair wages, and the recognition our folks deserve. We will prioritize fired employees above those still employed.
Some examples of how your funds will be used:
- Rent- Fired employees continue to seek comparable employment and pay for basic needs such as rent.
- Vehicle- We have car payments, and your support allows us to travel as we job hunt and travel around to educate folks about our cause.
- Cell Phone- Being able to communicate is an essential need in 2022.
- Food/Groceries- Our employees are primarily parents and have to put food on the table for their children.
- Legal Fees- Fighting to organize requires the navigation of complex federal agencies, and many of these tasks will require the assistance of a law firm. Fired employees need to defend themselves against a family/firm generating hundreds of millions of dollars a year.
Without your support, we would not be able to shine a light on this issue. Hotel workers across the nation are grossly overworked and underpaid. Owners continue to increase profit on the backs of the working poor, and I have decided to take a stand against this, but there is no question, this is a David vs. Goliath situation, and we will need all of the support we can muster. Again, we thank you for your support!
More details about us and our videos can be found here:
Washington D.C., DC