Family and friends,
Last Sunday July 31st the Squaw Valley home that many of us have called a refuge at one time or another was burned to the ground. My parents, Ann Baker & Michael Baker were burned trying to escape the property. They had not gotten the evacuation order for the Pebble Fire and were only aware of the fire when my father smelled smoke. He told my mom and they were able to grab phones, wallet/purse, and keys. My dad was able to grab his hat and mom a phone charger. Everything else is gone, including their car. They were trapped on the hill in the driveway,, the car a literal inferno and the front of the house on fire. It started on pebble crossed Longview and shadybrook then jumped Shorewood and quickly claimed our hill. My mom realized she was trapped and standing by the propane tank when my dad said the wind changed just enough that they could get past the car. My parents, in their 80's then scaled our driveway together. Luckily the grass along the driveway had been expertly cut earlier in June by a young man Ted, and his brother. They would not have made it out if it hadn't been cut..
The house, car and everything in it are rubble. My grandparents boat is gone, Grandads small metal shed also gone. They saved the big shop, picnic table and motorhome.
My beautiful dogs, all except one, all perished.
Mom and dad are recovering in the burn unit.
I wasn't sure about doing a go fund me but it looks like we are going to have to find a more permanent temporary home in town for quite a while, and things are starting to mount.
Please share this even if you can't donate.
I hope this finds you all well!
Thank you Meghan