A little about Doug, an amazing man fighting a tough battle:· Doug was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor in 1995.
· In February 2016, kidney cancer was discovered and both kidneys were removed.
· The search for a kidney donor commenced. After a long, exhaustive search, a kidney donor was found.
· While the donor was completing their preliminary testing in preparation for the transplant, the doctors discovered that Doug’s brain tumor had grown. This eliminated the possibility of the kidney transplant!
· In June 2016, while on his way to work, Doug had an auto accident due to either a seizure or stroke from the brain tumor growth.
· At that point, he lost his ability to drive or work.
· Betty-Jo, Doug’s wife, applied for disability. While Doug was approved, he was told it would not begin until early 2018.
How is Doug living now?
· Doug has dialysis 3-4 times a week.
· His health continues to decline, including multiple hospitalizations from pneumonia.
· He just had a feeding tube surgically placed in his abdomen since he is unable to swallow without aspiration.
· Betty-Jo and the medical team continue to search for medical interventions that can stop the brain tumor growth.
Now a little bit about Doug’s family… · Betty-Jo is the sole care giver for her husband and children.
· The 2 younger children are both special needs. Ivie is 16 and loves to swim. Raif is 13 and loves to play baseball, basketball and karate.
· Betty-Jo has been unable to work since 2010 as a result of Doug's health issues and caring for their children.
Betty-Jo and Doug have both exhausted their 401ks and savings. They will not start collecting disability till 2018. The medical expenses are astronomical and are continuing to mount. Betty-Jo is trying to keep their household afloat financially.
What we are asking for….
Betty-Jo and Doug urgently need funds for living and medical expenses to get them through to January when disability starts. If you have anything to spare, and really anything will help, please give as quickly as you are able in support of this wonderful family that we all know and LOVE!
The Holmes’s are strong believers and we also ask that you continue to pray for a miracle for Doug and his family. You can only imagine how difficult this is for all of them - and especially Betty-Jo who has the weight of all of this on her shoulders. Easing some of the enormous financial burden will really help. If you have questions please ask.
My name is Dianne De Sousa and as their good friend, I am running this campaign. If you have any questions, contact me by clicking on the green envelope next to my name on the GoFundMe site for the Holmes family. Please do not reach out to Betty Jo as her plate is overflowing. She cannot cope with anything more. So please only reach out to me.
· Please donate to the fund as quickly as possible.
· Please post this campaign on all of your social media sites to get the word out. The link is: https://www.gofundme.com/helptheHolmes
· Please pray for a miracle.
- Brett & Gracelyn Kowalski
- Diana Yatson
- Allison Nyquist
- Sherisse Johnston
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more