Born at 28 weeks - Kassie's continued journey

Our story begins on February 1st 2019. I was not feeling well Friday night. I got sick and had bad heart burn. I thought it was due to me going into my 3rd trimester. On Saturday the 2nd we went to the emergency room in Silverdale at Harrison Hospital. After completing lab work and checking on my vital signs the doctor had a panicked look on her face. She stated that my liver was swollen, my kidneys were being affected, and my placenta showed signs of not giving the baby the blood flow and nutrients baby needs to grow. They rushed me to the UW Medical Center in Seattle.

When admitted there, they explained to me that I was not leaving the hospital until I delivered my baby due to having super imposed preeclampsia. Mind you I was only 27 weeks and 5 days pregnant. They kept checking labs and vital signs. The doctors came to the conclusion that neither one of us were doing well and that they needed to deliver the baby fast. So on February 5th at 6:10 pm we had a baby girl who weighed 2lbs and 1 oz. and was about 14 inches long.

Once she arrived, they had a whole team surround her and take care of her. She had breathing complications which lead to a breathing tube. She then had a collapsed lung and needed a chest tube. After some time, when her lung healed they tried to take out her breathing tube, but her throat started to close up and they needed to reinsert it. We thought we were in the clear once her chest tube and breathing tube came out, but it was one thing after another. Kassie really had to fight for her life.

After becoming stable we were finally at the stage where we could start the process of feeding her. This then lead to us coming home. Kassie and I were in the hospital for about 77 days. I never left her side. The other kids (12,11, and 6) had family and the community support them and help them while I couldn’t be there. The separation was hard and very challenging. We had to support two grocery bills that were about $900.00 on a monthly total.

My husband (Shannon Turner) missed twenty-one days of work in the beginning. Shannon then ended up driving almost every day from Poulsbo to Olympia for work. After work he then would drive to see us at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit– NICU (at the University of Washington Medical Center) just to then turn back around and head back to Poulsbo. There are numerous amounts of money that had to be spent on gas, ferry trips, and toll bridges.

Now that we are home, we have a lot of scheduled appointments to make sure she is growing and developing accordingly, including, but not limited to, doctors and lactation visits.

The money that we will be receiving will be going towards bills, groceries, baby items (we were unable to have a baby shower and were not ready for baby Kassie) and, most of all, medical expenses. We really appreciate everything you have done and continue to do for our family. Words can not express how grateful we are for our supporters.

Donations (0)

  • Ed Stern 
    • $50 
    • 3 mos
  • Sherry Appleton  
    • $100 
    • 3 mos
  • Judy Davey 
    • $100 
    • 3 mos
  • Connie FitzPatrick 
    • $25 
    • 3 mos
  • Debra Daniels 
    • $20 
    • 3 mos


Danielle Turner 
Poulsbo, WA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more