***December 2018 Update
Over the past year we provided quality education to more than 1,270 children in rural Vietnam, benefitted more than 30,0000 community members, and delivered more than 67,200 person-hours of teaching, which is the equivalent of 7 years!
For next year, every time we raise €6,000 we ensure free English classes to 200 children
Have a look at our institutional video to see what kind of work we have been doing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPoX8mM6SMA
Here in the Kinh Mon District of Northern Vietnam, many parents do their best to provide English-based learning for their children. But, with only for-profit schools available to them, the hourly cost of classes (10USD) can become a financial strain on rural workers whose incomes average only $30 USD per month.
The average income of a farmer in Kinh Mon is $2 per day if it’s a good day. The average income of a worker in a factory in Kinh Mon is $3 per day. For many, this makes English learning completely out of reach and limits their access to internationally-accepted education.
In this rural town, we find yet another sobering example of what happens when talent is equally distributed but opportunities are not.
But through Oxford Omnia’s first nonprofit education project, we can Dare and Care!
With generous private donations from Van Luong Mura, in only three months we were able to develop the school and start classes. The school is now open and gives classes to approximately 120 students. We need your help to give more free English classes! The parents and students of Kinh Mon continue to reach out to us and request affordable English-based learning. Unfortunately, without your donations we cannot accommodate all of their requests.
Who we are
MB Eglish Centre is the first education project of Oxford Omnia International, a non-profit organization with the mission to support a community-based approach to advance human rights, international development and food security.
Oxford Omnia Founder Elena Bernini and MB English Director Van Luong Mura, were born in the District of Kinh Mon, where the school was opened on December 24th. They were adopted at a young age by two Italian families. Van Luong and Elena grew up with a dream to return to their village and give back to their community. Giving back means using their knowledge and means to inspire and mentor children towards the achievement of their full academic and leadership potential, which will have a positive spillover effect on their community and broader region
MB English Centre was founded in honour of Matteo Bertero, a young and brilliant student who died at a very young age in 2014 and who was one of Elena’s best friends.
Matteo, and all of you, are people who both dare to take risks and do the right thing, and care for the community around you. “Dare and Care” is the motto of the MB English Centre.
As a matter of fact, at our school, students are encouraged to dare to take risks and make mistakes as an opportunity for learning and growth. Students express critical thinking, ask the tough questions on why this is so, how it can improve, and what is the right thing to do. We encourage strong attention to creativity, which ultimately will stimulate insights and leadership.
Students are educated to care for the local community, but also to see the interconnections of local challenges with global issues, such as climate change, food security, human dignity, and locally-innovated civil society solutions around the world.
What you can do
Our teachers do a lot with a little. We believe that development is about increasing personal freedom, not about construction. This school will increase personal freedoms of many. You can be part of the change!
-With € 30 per month you support the tuition of one student.
-With € 50 per month you support the tuition of one student, wi-fi, books and material for his or her studies.
-With €130 you can plant a beautiful tree for the students’ garden AND support the monthly fee of a student.
If you want to do something extraordinary
-With € 850 per month, you support the project costs of hosting a volunteer teacher to dedicate months of his or her life to teaching English. MB English Centre is currently bearing the cost from volunteers own pockets.
- With € 4,000 a year, you support an entire class of 10 students for a year
- With € 5,300 a year, you support the school's and volunteer's house rent
-With € 24,000 a year MB can hire a permanent experienced English teacher to join our staff
-If you would like to adopt at distance (€ 500 per year) one student, and/or mentor, skype and exchang emails with students as part of their English learning, please contact email@example.com
Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond donor
-Silver member: if you donate at least € 200 you receive a handwritten thank you note
-Gold member: if you donate at least € 500 you receive a handwritten thank you note and a drawing from our students
-Platinum member: if you donate at least € 1000 you receive a handwritten thank you note and you will appear on the donor website if you so choose
-Diamond member: if you donate at least € 8000, a classroom will be named after you
How to donate
We are currently waiting for approval of registration from the Charity Commission of England and from the Italian Foreign Ministry, therefore these donations are not yet tax deductible. However, if you would like to start making a donation please use the following.
We prefer donations via a bank transfer, as this would decurt the GoFundMe admin fee. If you would like to donate to a U.S. bank account or make an in-kind donation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Swift BARC GB 22
Address 54 Cornmarket Street, Oxford OX13HB, UK
Address Piazzale Gaffurio 9, Pavia 27100, Italy
To see our latest activities at MB English Centre please visit and follow us on
Want to know more? 5 reasons why our school is unique
1. We are the first non-profit English school in Kinh Mon District committed to accessibility of education and equal opportunities: we reach out to the disadvantaged members of the village by encouraging their applications and giving them ongoing support.
2. We have committed to sustainability in our materials and construction process: our walls are aluminium composite (it has an infinite lifecycle); the school is in a renovated existing space rather than new construction, we used abandoned chairs and material like wood that comes from around Kinh Mon or from local small business owners. Overall we dramatically reduced the impact on the environment compared to new construction using non-sustainable materials
3. We designed an open-access internet accessible curriculum for our students that will dramatically reduce paper waste. Our curriculum will also be shareable to anyone: our students can share it and teach what they learned to their brothers, sisters and parents. Our curriculum will be also accessible to other non-profits or anyone in the world who wants to learn English
4. We have an incredibly diverse team of collaborators and have hired local staff for the construction as this will economically support local communities and will have vaste positive spillover effects.
5. We are empowering Kinh Mon’s community by working with an incredible local staff for the running of the school as they are aware of the unique local challenges and help us better understand the needs of the local community.
DonationsSee top donations
- Silvana Franzosi
- Peter Solomon
- Matteo Rota
- petra pollastro
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more