Dear Family & Friends,
On Monday, December 14th, Kameron Booker, affectionately called babyKam, was behaving like a typical 17-month busy toddler. He was running around the house playing and curiously touching and grabbing everything in sight. In a split second, babyKam grabbed hold of a very hot liquid that was just placed down a second before not realizing the precocious toddler was already on their heels and reaching for it before they could stop it. He pulled the container down onto himself causing the scalding hot liquid to burn him from his chin down to his belly button.
babyKam was burned on over 30% of his body with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. He was transported from Mount Vernon Hospital in Alexandria, VA to Children's Hospital burn unit in Washington, D.C. He spent 4 nights in the hospital and had one surgery on Wednesday, December 16th to thoroughly clean and assess the full extent of the burn damage to his skin and the layers/nerve-endings beneath. He is on the road to recovery, but it will be a long road.
babyKam's spirits are high, he wants to play with his toys and play hide-and seek. He's still giving high fives, fist bumps, hugs, and kisses, but his wounds are still very raw and painful. They require cleaning and redressing everyday, and it is excruciating for him. In the first week, he was being medicated prior to the cleaning to help him through the pain. As of this week, he's allowed to take a fully submerged bath, which exposes his open wounds to the water. It's a dreadful activity and you can already tell he's developing anxiety when it's time. He's then covered in numbing cream and burn ointment before being re-wrapped in gauze underneath his clothes. The gauze is starting to get itchy and irritating. The doctors have stated that he is coming along, but there is an area in particular above his belly button that still may need a skin graft. It has not begun to heal much yet.
After two emergency room stays about 24 hours each, a long-mileage ambulance transport between the two hospitals, NICU stay, a four night overall hospital stay, surgery under anesthesia, sedative and pain medication, burn ointments/creams, and additional supplies, the expenses are quite high.
babyKam's mom, Jessica, was furloughed from her job as a property manager in April due to the pandemic, so they've been operating under a single income for most of the year. babyKam's dad, Kenith, works for Cintas as a Service Sales Representative.
2020 has been a tough year for so many reasons as you all know. This accident has thrown the family for a loop emotionally and financially as they've been working to survive the major decline in income. This additional financial burden can set them back for many years to come, so this is where you, our loved ones come in. My name is Chamaya Hutchens, and I'm babyKam's aunt on the dad's side reaching out on behalf of Jessica and Kenith and the other immediate family members in hopes that we can help make this harrowing experience less of a financial burden for them as they enter into 2021.
Thank you so much for reading this story about Kameron. Jessica and Kenith would not have thought to reach out for help in this way, but I know they would be tremendously grateful for any way that you can help support them during this time.
May God Bless you during this holiday season and throughout 2021!!
- Ms. Margaret Nanny’s Friend
- Capital City Basketball Association
- Nina Johnson
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more