Gavin's Emergency Craniotomy Medical Bills

On April 26th, my boyfriend Gavin had an accident while skateboarding with a group of his friends.  His friend Travis called an ambulance and he was taken to Poudre Valley Hospital. I met Travis at the hospital and I was able to go into the room where the doctors, nurses, etc. were working on Gavin. He was intubated and sedated. One of the nurses, Amy, called Gavin's mom to let her know what was happening. She had told me that LifeLine (UCHealth's emergency transportation specialists) was on their way to transport Gavin to the Medical Center of the Rockies. After a few minutes a doctor came to talk to me, he told me that Gavin had fractured part of his skull and needed to have emergency surgery at a better equipped hospital. He told me what hospital to go to and once LifeLine had Gavin ready to transport, I left to pick up a change of clothes and then headed to Medical Center of the Rockies. 

Gavin's mom, Kim, was already at the hospital in the surgery waiting room when I arrived. A neurosurgeon was already operating on Gavin.  I'm not sure how long it took but after a while a trauma nurse came to talk to us. He told us that the neurosurgeon was done with the surgery and that they'd given him a CT scan, things were looking good considering the circumstances. He also told us that the neurosurgeon would come speak with us, Gavin was going to be moved into the I.C.U. and once they had him set up we would be able to go see him. 

Gavin had suffered an epidural hematoma, which is a traumatic accumulation of blood between the inner table of the skull and the stripped-off dural membrane. A closed fracture of his right temporal bone extending into his ear canal, a sphenoid sinus fracture, a pterygoid plate fracture, as well as a concussion. A right craniotomy was the surgery that was performed, to save his life. The neurosurgeon told me and his mother that if he didn't get there when he did, he would most likely be dead.

Gavin is an incredibly resilient person and was discharged from the hospital on April 30th and is doing incredibly well. He is in a lot of pain and will most likely have a severe headache for quite a while. We were told that his concussion should resolve itself within 3 weeks. We aren't sure of how much the surgery and hospital stay are going to cost but my best guess from looking around is at least $15,000-$20,000, possibly even more. I will update this when we receive the bill, which we're expecting within the next month.  

Gavin has a few follow-up appointments coming up, including one with an audiologist to evaluate the fractures that extended into his ear canal. He will be unable to work for at least 3-4 weeks which will really make things a little harder for us, but our main concern will be upcoming medical bills.

Gavin, post-operation, I took this photo on April 27th, about 12 hours after his surgery. 

Waiting for Gavin to be conscious. 

Gavin on April 28th, around 4pm.
  • Sara Dahlstrom
    • $500 
    • 44 mos
  • Anonymous
    • $50 
    • 44 mos
  • Wilson Slaughter
    • $25 
    • 44 mos
  • Teresa Stotts
    • $100 
    • 44 mos
  • Hannah Rae Whittle
    • $150 
    • 44 mos
See all


Megan Hayes
Fort Collins, CO

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.