Hi, my name is Christine and I'm raising funds to provide Investigative Genetic Genealogy (DNA) training to as many police officers in the U.S. as possible.
I'm a former police detective and sergeant, now law enforcement trainer and private investigator. While I may have left the police department, the cold cases continue to haunt me.
I believe that no case should go cold, no victim, family member or loved one be left without answers and no guilty party go unpunished. It's like victimizing the victims again.
What's Going Wrong:
- According to the US Department of Justice, there are 250,000 unsolved murders as of 2019*.
- Homicides increase over 6,000 each year*
- Cold cases constitute a "crisis" says the National Institute of Justice*
- The United States has nearly 18,000 law enforcement agencies*
- CODIS is only helpful if the offender is IN the database and CODIS technology is outdated
- There is a huge #defundthepolice movement spreading across the U.S.
- Officers are leaving police departments in droves
- Police departments are challenged in hiring enough officers
- If police can't staff current work, they certainly can't work the backlog of cold cases
The Good News:
There have been great technology advancements enabling laboratories to obtain DNA profiles in ways that they could not previously. This means that police now have more evidence to work with and more ways to identify potential suspects or unidentified deceased persons who may have been the victim of foul play.
What Is It?
Genetic Genealogy is the use of traditional genealogy (like related individuals and historical documents) along with genetic information (DNA profiles) to develop leads on potential suspects. Through the use of Investigative Genetic Genealogy (IGG) police can now quickly and easily find the perpetrator or the perpetrator's family, which allows them to go from zero to hero, getting justice for all.
Well, believe me, I didn't choose it, but a few years ago I got a huge heck of DNA drama in my own life. In trying to solve those mysteries, I learned a LOT about Genetics and Genealogy.
While at first I cried out about being "cursed," I came to the realization that my experiences have actually been a blessing in disguise. You see, having worked as a police detective and now as a genealogist, I am perfectly positioned to help solve these cases!
For this specific purpose, I created and currently teach my class Genetic Genealogy For Law Enforcement so that police officers and detectives can do this work in-house, utilizing this technology to the fullest.
How You Can Help:
- Spread the word about the opportunity to as many departments and police officers as you can
- Donate any amount so that we can train as many officers as possible
Our current goal will help us train and support approximately 202 officers. It's scary but to provide this training to one officer in every department is staggering - almost $18,000,000! But, what's solving a murder worth? How about two or three or the 250,000 homicide case backlog?
I know together we can do it!
Thank you for your time and consideration.
- Velena McGray
- Guy Dockerill
- Janet Ravenkamp
Your donation matters
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more