Medical & Funeral expenses

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to read this. My name is Sonia Rivera Urena and I have been blessed to have met and married the most courageous and tenacious individual I know.  As difficult as this is to write all of this down, it is equally as difficult to ask for financial assistance from those who might be in the position to donate funds for my husband Benjamin M. Urena.   

 

In 2010, after suffering debilitating headaches for months, Ben was diagnosed with having several brain tumors.  The type of tumors he possesses has a high regrowth rate, and as a result, Ben has had 6 brain surgeries in the last 8 years, each surgery more difficult than the last.  Each time, he had to endure excruciating pain from recovery, and countless months of rehabilitation and therapy. In between the brain surgeries, Ben was also diagnosed with tongue cancer.  As a result, half of his tongue was removed and reconstructed from a piece of his forearm.  He also received heavy radiation for this and endured months of rehab which included learning to chew, swallow and speak.  In the meantime, the tumors became more aggressive and resulted in pushing up against his optic nerves and causing total blindness in both eyes.  

 

Even after suffering all these years of pain, surgeries, hospitalization, chemotherapy, radiation, rehab, therapy – not once has Ben ever complained or asked “why me?”  There is no one stronger and braver than the love of my life.  He has taken each and every step of this journey with stride and has done his best to live out the best life he can. 



Currently, Ben has 5 brain tumors and the doctors advise against any further surgeries or treatments, as they will not improve his condition, but just possibly extend his current 6 - month life expectancy.  The cost of his surgeries, including rehabilitation, after care, tests, specialists, MRI's, radiation, chemo therapy and in - home care will cost roughly $800,000.00. Our current medical insurance will cover 80%, and we are hoping to alleviate some of our remaining 20% by asking for financial help. The funds will be strictly used for his medical expenses and future costs for funeral expenses.  We appreciate any donation amount, and we thank you in advance for your generosity and support.
  • Iberia Brogmus 
    • $100 
    • 27 mos
  • Carolyn Flemming 
    • $100 
    • 31 mos
  • Cathy Billings 
    • $150 
    • 31 mos
  • Jenny Oropeza  
    • $100 
    • 31 mos
  • Anthony Cerda 
    • $50 
    • 31 mos
See all

Organizer

Sonia Rivera 
Organizer
Covina, CA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more