Grand Rapids has made national news recently for being ranked #1 city to raise a family by Forbes Magazine, and events like Artprize and Lipdub. A group of local high school students are working hard to put Grand Rapids on the map for something else, a power house in the high school Model UN arena.
This year alone, the Forest Hills Northern Model UN Team:
· Attended conferences including the Great Lakes Invitation Model United Nations at the Radisson Hotel, the University of Michigan Model United Nations, and the Michigan State Model United Nations
· Earned the "Outstanding Large Delegation" award at MSUMUN, "Best Delegation " at GLIMUN, and the most awards at UMMUN as a team
· Won 9 Best Delegate awards, 6 Honorable Mention awards, and 6 other individual awards for team members
· Ranked in the top 75 teams in North America, the top 5%. Only 1 other team in Michigan made the top 75. LINK
As a result of their outstanding season, delegates from this team have been invited to attend one of the top, world-renowned Model United Nations expositions being held in China this summer, the WEMUN Expo 2012. Together with partners from Boston University, Harvard, Georgetown, University of California Berkeley, University of Chicago, University of Pennsylvania and Yale - WEMUN Expo in Beijing is a showcase of world class Model United Nations conferences where delegates from over 30 countries have a chance to experience the highest level of intellectual debate and learn the rewards of teamwork.
The competition will consist of around 200 teams from five different continents. Our team would be one of a handful of teams in the United States to attend this year, and the first public school from the US in the competition's history.
This invitation is a great honor for the team and the program; however, the trip is quite expensive and the school is not allowed to sponsor any international trips. Our hope is to receive sponsorships from business and individuals to make this dream trip a reality for an amazing group of future leaders of our country.
Any questions, please contact us at [email redacted].
***We now have a boosters club and are a non-profit organization, so donations can be tax deductible!
DonationsSee top donations
- Qualcom Inc.
- West Michigan Model UN Club
- Materials Testing Consultants
- Rapistan Dematic
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more