Elvira's Garden Youth Centre (EGYC)
Elvira's Garden Youth Centre in Grenada West Indies is a place for children to come both after school for $1 and in the holidays for slightly more. We provide a safe and relaxing but also engaging learning environment for all children aged 0-15.
At our after school club the children pay $1 and receive:
• homework help
• a free meal
• swimming lessons
• a stage to sing and dance on
• arts and crafts materials
• team building activities
We love what we do and would really appreciate your help to further this project and help a lot of children and their families!
Please check us out online!
facebook: Elvira's Garden Grenada
Below are some things we need and the prices they cost in various currencies to show everyone where your donations will go:
· The “1 free meal a day” scheme which is part of our after-school club. This is particularly important as for some of the children we look after, this is their only meal that day. It would cost approximately $300 XCD per month to achieve this. This is equivalent to £90 / $110 USD.
· The funding of 1 or more staff members for 1 year to aid in the care for our children within our after-school club, Saturday sessions and holiday camps. It would cost approximately $11000 XCD per year for 1 member of staff. This is equivalent to £3300 / $4000 USD.
· The funding for weekly sessions of an extra-curricular activities for the children to enjoy such as dance/music/agriculture classes (and many more). We feel this is extremely vital as it has been proven that accessing other outlets helps children to learn vital skills such as self-control, self-discipline, and motivation. These can then be applied in other areas of their lives. It would cost approximately $200 XCD per month. This is equivalent to £60 / $75 USD.
· The acquisition of school supplies and resources for our afterschool club. This would be highly useful to us as a lot of the children who attend our Youth Centre fail to bring adequate school supplies and writing materials which impacts on their studies. It would cost approximately $40 XCD per month. This is equivalent to £12 / $15 USD.
· The acquisition of our youth centre gaining electrical devices for our children to use whilst at the centre. This would greatly help us to teach and tutor them more accurately and enable to standard of their homework and projects to rise.
· The cost of owning our own transportation for our Youth Centre, to ensure the safe travel of our children. This is important as it also allows children who may not live close to be able to access our much-needed services. A bus would approximately cost $50,000 XCD. This is equivalent to £15,000 / $18,500 USD.
· The funding of 1 or more staff members to work during our holiday camps. We are continuously struggling to gain volunteers due to the economic status of the country, furthermore Covid has hindered international volunteer opportunities. Therefore, our only option in order to adequately our children and provide adequate care in terms of ratios, is to hire paid staff during the school holidays. It would cost $2500 XCD per year for 1 member of staff. This is equivalent to £750 / $900 USD.
· The food costs during our holiday camps. Our camps run from 8am -5pm as we have found this to be the most helpful times for working parents. We, therefore, feed our children breakfast, lunch, and dinner during our holiday camps in order for them to stay hydrated and energised. This means that they are able to get the most out of their experience with us. It would cost approximately $2000 XCD each year. This is equivalent to £600 / $750 USD.
· Our most successful activity was “Spice War” This is where the camp is split into two teams - Team cinnamon vs Team nutmeg. The children compete in various activities every Friday and at the end of camp a winning team is announced. To sponsor towards the Spice war activities during our holiday camps, would result in more adventurous team building activities for the children to partake in, thus building strong life-long skills such as leadership, being part of a team and self-motivation within the youth of today.
· Continually provide the funds for us to create EGYC T-shirts & sun hats for the children so that they can have their own EGYC uniform (we would in turn put your logo on the T-shirts to show who is sponsoring this). This aids with safety when we are taking the children off site for field trips. It also aids us in further marketing and advertising who and what we are. Finally, we feel this would provide the children with a sense of team and camaraderie which in turn builds confidence. It would cost approximately $4000 XCD per year. This is equivalent to $1200 / $1500 USD.
· To help us gain more awareness island wide, this could be as simple as advertising us on your websites and social media and in turn would provide your company with an inexpensive way of showing your support for what we do. It could also include the funding of any radio or TV interviews, for us to reach more families who may need our help. The average cost of an advert slot on Grenadian radio per month is $150 XCD. This is equivalent to $45 / $55 USD.
Become the first supporter
Your donation matters
Make a donation
Give £20 and be a founding donor
Your donation is the start of Elviras Garden's journey to success. Your early support inspires others to donate.