Alexis Road to Recovery

$10,830 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 93 people in 20 days

Hello Family and Friends,   

On July 15th, Alexis was admitted to the hospital with extreme weakness and dizziness. She was sick for about a month and a half. Extreme vertigo, vomiting, lack of appetite, etc.    It finally got to the point of never leaving her bed for two weeks, they knew it was serious. 

When they arrived at the hospital they found out that her Hemoglobin (Blood) level was at a 3.3. Most average females her age are around 15 -17, this hospital said they do transfusions at 7 and she was at the lowest level they have ever seen a living person.    So they started blood tests and a CT scan. They were able to find out at the time that her body was attacking her red blood cells and they needed to know why. So with that, they needed to get blood in her immediately and that was the main focus till something bigger came along.   

So the Hematologist who was on her case said they did a Coombs test and she was positive. What this means is that her red blood cells were entering her spleen and being attacked. It's an auto-immune response brought on by a viral infection. The treatment is steroids, heavy for 3 to 4 weeks, then tapered off. If it comes back they will likely have to remove her spleen.   

The condition is called Hemolytic Anemia    

So they thought they were out and clear but then OBGYN came in and said they saw something on the CT and the ultrasound when they were looking at the spleen and ordered an MRI to see her pelvis.   
After the MRI, they came in to tell us they found Cystic Masses in/around both ovaries and 5 Fibroids around the uterus. One ovary appears to have a normal structure and seems to have an intact uterine canal. The mass appears to be a dermoid tumor, it's unclear. The second ovary is a massive cyst, 4 inches across. Both need to be removed.  

Luckily, the biopsy came back negative for cancer. But the masses are still there and need to be removed immediately.   

The options are:

1) Partial removal, potentially saving eggs if they are good.

2) Full removal of the uterus  

With surgery, Alexis should be in the hospital for 3 days, with 6 weeks of the total recovery maybe more. 

Since she is still in recovery from the blood transfusions, we do not have a date on the surgery just yet.  Her body needs to be healthy enough or she will end up bleeding out during the procedure.   

We, first of all, want to thank everyone who reached out and sent their kind words, prayers, and love to Alexis and what a big decision and change this in her young adult life. It really means the world. We Also want to thank UPMC Pinnacle for helping us along the way with all our of medical services and financial struggles. 

Sadly this was a huge blow to our lives because of how sudden it was. Alexis was also fired from her job during this whole process due to the fact that the company couldn't and didn't want to keep up with all the medical leave that comes with this surgery. They are willing to rehire her when she is fully back to health but for now, she will be out of a job.   

The costs cover the surgery, hospital stay, medicine from both visits, follow up doctor appointments, and help catch up with other bills.   

So please if you could share or donate or support what you can we would really appreciate it and get Alexis back on her feet moving and ready to take on the world once again.

The Plumley's
+ Read More
Hello friends, family and supporters!

Some good news!

So, we met with a fertility specialist to talk about what to do after the surgery and the doctor has full confidence and feel completely comfortable for Alexis to carry a child after we get the cyst and fibroids out.

So the original plan was to full hysterectomy because of Hemolytic anemia and such but they did a lot of research and discussing with her Gyno Oncologist (apparently they are best friends outside of their work and have been talking about her case for weeks)

So the plan now is to get her hemoglobin levels up to a healthy stable condition. Get her to surgery as soon as they give the thumbs up. Then after recovery we will be meeting with the Fertility Doctor and Gyno to discuss how to keep her reproductive system healthy!

Once again thank you to everyone who has been on this journey. Alexis strength is getting better everyday, she is fully eating again, walking and going up and down stairs. She is slowly getting back to her usual fun and loving self!

The Plumley's
+ Read More
Hello family, friends and supporters!

Today is Alexis 29th Birthday!

Some medical updates since we went to the doctor today. HNH is up a little bit, to a 9.8, but still under 10 which is where the doctor would be comfortable. They want to start her on a new medication, rituxan, which would need to be given through IV. It is a type of medication that is used to treat types of auto immune diseases and cancer. Will give further details in the next couple of days.

Thanks again to everyone who has shared, posted, messaged and donated so far, we are almost halfway to our goal! ❤️
+ Read More
Hello family, friends, and supporters.

Update time! We have good news and bad news.

Bad news, my hemoglobin (blood count) is still low and could be lowering. So our hematologist will keep up with the high dosage of steroids and in the future wants to add immuno suppressants since it's my immune system destroying my red blood cells. The thing is, it could be difficult to do surgery at the same time. So no surgery date till we get that settled. But we are looking towards the end of August for a potential surgery date!

Good news one of my ovary masses has disappeared! We did an ultrasound today because of the severe pain I have been feeling for the past few weeks. When they took a look they found out that the smaller mass is completely cleared up! Surgery is still happening for the larger mass and fibroids.

The hubby and I will also be meeting with a fertility doctor in two weeks to get our future plans in order.

To everyone who has prayed, reached out, shared our story and donated. Thank you so much for all of this. I am beyond words from the reaction and love that we have gotten. It's been a rough go and it warms my heart to see all this support. Thank you
+ Read More

Still no surgery date due to the fact that Alexis blood levels are still a bit low. She has been cleared to have the surgery but the doctors want to come up with a good plan of action to make sure that she is completely ready and healthy for surgery.

Will update further when we get more info next week.

Thank you to everyone who has been sharing and donating. We really appreciate it ❤️
+ Read More
Read a Previous Update

$10,830 of $25,000 goal

Raised by 93 people in 20 days
Your share could be bringing in donations. Sign in to track your impact.
We will never post without your permission.
In the future, we'll let you know if your sharing brings in any donations.
We weren't able to connect your Facebook account. Please try again later.
Quintisha Ammons
1 day ago
Noemi Atienza
2 days ago
Patrick Dees
4 days ago
Jacklyn Heaton
6 days ago
Arif Kinchen
9 days ago
Julian Bonfiglio
10 days ago
KevinB Jones
11 days ago
Luke Ashworth
11 days ago
Laurie Champoux-Couture
11 days ago
Mary Barana
11 days ago
Use My Email Address
By continuing, you agree with the GoFundMe
terms and privacy policy
There's an issue with this Campaign Organizer's account. Our team has contacted them with the solution! Please ask them to sign in to GoFundMe and check their account. Return to Campaign

Are you ready for the next step?
Even a $5 donation can help!
Donate Now Not now
Connect on Facebook to keep track of how many donations your share brings.
We will never post on Facebook without your permission.