For over two years Lynn has been fighting cancer and my brother, right there by her side every step of the way. He of course has been researching every detail there is to know about fighting cancer and probably on more than one occasion, seeing beyond the insight of the doctors, has saved Lynn’s life… I often get tagged as the brains in the family, but my brother, he’s secretly a genius.
In January 2017, our hearts broke when we learned that Lynn’s cancer is terminal. But I love my brother’s attitude. What did he say? “Nothing’s terminal until you drop”, but here in Ohio all the doctors can offer her is palliative radiation and chemo to extend her life as long as they can, but with very low quality of life expected. And so Denny & Lynn got serious about Lynn’s bucket list.
First item to check off the list, purchasing a red camper with Lynn’s life insurance policy to head out west to see some sights she’s never seen before. First stop, Colorado. But what started as a road trip turned into an R&D mission, you see, Denny has read extensively online about CBD and THC treatment over the course of their cancer journey. And so in June, they headed out west from Loveland, OH to Loveland, CO to hear from others who have benefited from these therapies and learn what it would take to at the very best, cure Lynn and at worst, improve her quality of life and extend her days on this planet to spend with those she loves.
While in Colorado, Denny & Lynn heard so many stories directly from those who have taken this route of treatment, stories of spots from spreading cancer disappearing, tumors shrinking, (currently Lynn’s is the size of a grapefruit at the base of her spine…try getting comfortable with that), and people being cured all together. Add that Lynn was able to reduce her opiates by 2/3 while increasing her appetite by legally partaking in recreational marijuana, they determined to not give up the cancer fight and look for a way to make it back out to Colorado and soon.
And while this was an incredibly hard decision for Denny & Lynn to move away from their son, grandkids, family and friends who have been so supportive, they’re choosing hope.
And so we invite you to join Denny & Lynn’s Last Shot via Colorado by donating of course and keeping up with their journey where I’ll update you weekly on their progress and share with you research and news on medical marijuana.
But first, you might be asking, wasn’t medical marijuana legalized in the state of Ohio? Why the move to Colorado? Medical Marijuana was legalized in the state of Ohio, but the state has yet to develop a program. In order to prescribe, doctors have to go through a course which hasn’t even been created yet. Oh Government… Ain’t nobody got time for that!
The journey starts with:
· Lynn bravely deciding to take on two weeks of radiation, which she finished up on July 3rd in hopes it will shrink the tumor and give her upcoming therapy a jump start. She has a follow up in two weeks and so I’ll be sure to update you on her progress.
· Getting a life packed, stored, sold and moved as quickly as possible.
· Denny getting a transfer to Denver, but going 8 weeks without pay after having gone the past year on significantly reduced pay. (Send good vibes their way. This has not been confirmed yet.)
· Securing 2 months of prescriptions and a jump start of CBD oil (she can start that now as it doesn’t contain THC).
· Identifying a medical oncologist to monitor Lynn’s progress, guide them in her treatment and provide prescriptions for as long as she’s out there.
· Getting residency so that Lynn can get her medical card so she can start her treatment
· Beginning a $1150/month treatment for 6 months which includes:
· Combo of THC (Rick Simpson Oil; RSO) & CBD Oil – blocks the receptors of cancer in her body to keep it from growing and spreading (Did you know that your body has cannabinoid receptors which is what gives pot it’s power? We were literally made for this stuff.)
· Mistletoe Injections – anti-cancer properties that support the immune system, protecting the DNA in white blood cells.
· Living in a camper in a place that snows a lot. Brrrr!!!
Our goal is to raise $8500 dollars for the first two months to get them there, pay their living expenses while Denny is without pay and most importantly, start Lynn’s treatment.
Let’s start there to get them through the first 2 months, but we’ll still need your help for the remaining 4 months of Lynn’s treatment. For the remaining 4 months, a flat donation of $200 or $50/month by only 42 people, will help to make up the difference in what Denny & Lynn need that their monthly income simply won’t cover.
So while we appreciate even the smallest donation, we’d love your support at the start as well as a pledge to continue supporting for the remaining 4 months.
On behalf of our entire family and especially Denny & Lynn, we thank you for your thoughts, prayers, good vibes, and hard core cash. We love and appreciate every single bit of it.
The fine print you didn't ask for:
Because Go Fund Me wants to make sure you guys know you're not getting ripped off, here's a bit more practicality of how your donations will make it to Denny & Lynn.
I'm Pamela. I'm Denny's sister and what looks like help for these two is for me to create and manage a budget for the expenses that will cover their move, Lynn's treatment costs, lost wages, and living expenses that Denny's pay will not cover once there. Because of this, Denny and I have opened a joint savings account and each month, I will make a withdraw on these funds directly to this savings account where Denny can either pay bills directly from or transfer them to his checking account. Denny will be moving the 2nd to last week in August at which time we will make the first withdraw to pay their way to Colorado. Stay tuned on the FB page for details on their journey.
Thanks again for your support!
- Wendy Smith
- Chris Temming
- Cindy Edwards
- Jamie Hurtubise
- Brent Corbin
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more