That being said, he is beat up, to say the least. His injuries as of now are the following:
- Two broken ribs
- Broken or fractured wrist need to confirm
- A big cut in his thigh all the way down to the tendon (sorry to gross you out)
- A head contusion which to my knowledge is basically a bump on the head. He had a little bleeding in the brain on Friday night which is why they air lifted him to a trauma center, but THE BLEEDING HAS SUBSIDED AND IS NOT A CONCERN! Cool!
My reasons for doing this GoFundMe are:
1) I don't know exact figures, but I expect their hospital, ambulance, and helicopter bills to be high. My parents aren't poor, and they’re not rich. I know they have some sort of insurance but I'm not sure yet what it covers. My mom is retired and has I think a good pension which keeps them going, but obviously isn't making the income she was while employed in San Francisco as a full time nurse.
2) Daniel will be out of work for TBD but it seems the guesstimate is 1-2 months. No sick pay.
While it is great news that he is in stable condition and so much better off than he could have been, I know it has to be hard for my parents. I know my dad doesn't like being idle and will not enjoy not being able to work -- or to cycle ;) -- for a while. I figure the boredom combined with the financial stress and the pain/lack of mobility is enough to send anyone into a funk. So I thought if we can make it a little easier on him, great.
Right now he's at University of New Mexico Medical Center. UPDATE: looks like he’ll have surgery on his wrist tomorrow or sometime this week. And then we should have more information as to how long he'll be in hospital and what recovery might look like.
If you know my dad you know he's a warm, humble, kind, funny, thoughtful, easygoing, gentle French man.
Also, another reason I believe he deserves this help is he is a helper himself. He has raised an absurd about of money for both the Leukemia and Lymphoma Association and for AIDS research. He's done the AIDS LIFE CYCLE RIDE multiple times, and so many Team and Training fundraising rides I can't keep track. My mom has also done multiple fundraising rides for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Association.
And if you can't afford to donate, that’s okay. Sending a word of encouragement is much appreciated too.
I did a rough estimate, and Daniel makes probably around $2000 a month. I don't know hospital bill estimates yet. But if we assume two months out of work, that's $4000 he won't be making. (THIS IS AN ESTIMATE.)
My goal first is to raise $2000, enough to offset this.
If you have the pleasure of being served by him you know he's the top of the top in terms of his work. I know he'll miss not working during the recovery.
(P.S. my dad doesn't know I'm doing this so if you know them, please keep it a secret.)
DonationsSee top donations
- Gerald Hirigoyen
- Spencer Christian
- Robin Obata
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more