Saving Luke

This is all for Luke, our 7-month-old baby boy. We adopted him 6 months ago, along with his sister Leia. He recently became very ill, very fast. After about $3,000 in vet bills just to test and care for him, they finally determined he had FIP. At his weakest, the vet suggested we put him down. We took him home that evening and made him comfortable, and I left a message for an in-home euthanasia expert. We sat with him and cried for hours, because he's the sweetest, most quiet, and polite kitten, and just like all cats he didn't deserve this. 

But around 10pm at night, something in my gut told me not to give up on him. My girlfriend and I decided he deserved every chance available. So we picked up an emergency vial of very expensive FIP treatment, from a wonderful person in a town over. We gave him his first shot that night. Since then we've purchased 2 more vials and continued with his antibiotic meds and the FIP treatment shots. And we can honestly say that every day he shows new little signs of improvement. We are determined to fight this virus, and we can tell he is too. The only obstacle in our way is affording it. 

I lost my marketing job when my company was hit hard at the start of the COVID19 epidemic. And unemployment made an error with my account(as it has with thousands of other people) and hasn't sent me a check in months. I've been paying our bills and now Luke's vet bills out of my savings, of course with the help of my girlfriend who is still working(with slightly cut hours). But looking ahead, I am very scared of the uncertainty. The idea of him missing shots and regressing simply because we have to decide between our mortgage or his life is absolutely heartbreaking. 

We will be doing everything we can to make sure we can afford his FIP treatment for the full 85 days of shots(plus the occasional vet checkup). I plan on selling things and looking for under the table work on the side(marketing, writing, PC repair/building, etc), and we'll be asking family to borrow money if need be as well. After seeing suggestions of trying to crowdfund at least some of his expenses, I decided to give it a shot.

We are 4 shots into his treatment and amazed constantly at his little improvements(I'll detail them in a separate post), and we are already infinitely grateful to the people in the FIP Warriors group on Facebook who have helped us get started and those who have sent him their thoughts and prayers. We even lucked out by living next door to 2 vet techs, who have helped us learn how to give him shots and administer subQ fluids. 

In closing, Luke is in good hands, and being cared for by people who love him as if he were our own flesh and blood. We are doing every single thing in our abilities to make him comfortable and happy, and help him fight this awful virus. He wants to live, and get big and play with his sister and his 2 older step brothers Harvey and Sawyer(I'll link to their Instagram). 

If you can help at all, even if it's just $5 occasionally, or even just once, it will add up and it will help save Luke's life. Every single cent we receive will go to his treatment and care. I will constantly post updates on his progress and answer questions. 

Thank you!


  • David Simson 
    • $50 
    • 21 d
  • Martina Portalupi  
    • $15 
    • 1 mo
  • Haylie Casey 
    • $30 
    • 1 mo
  • Hamerling Santos 
    • $40 
    • 1 mo
  • Emily Holcomb  
    • $19 
    • 1 mo
See all


Dan Trujillo 
West Sacramento, CA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more