Health practitioners around the country desperately need personal protective equipment (#PPE) and, most notably, face masks. Though proper use of a surgical mask is still the best way to prevent COVID-19 transmission, masks are long back-ordered.
- The CDC states that homemade masks are an option as a crisis contingency option . Deaconess Hospital (Indiana) has identified a suitable homemade mask pattern, which is accepted by recipients listed below.
Small businesses are already struggling with mandated closures and decreased sales. Goldman Sachs US Daily Economics Research Report estimates loss to U.S. GDP could be as much as 10% by April. With small businesses accounting for 46% of GDP, there could be nearly $1 trillion in loss. With underrepresented groups, this business loss is likely to hit harder. BERIQISU, a sustainable fashion brand, woman-owned, minority-owned, black-owned, is taking on this challenge and will make cloth masks with filters ASAP with existing resources.
Your donation has a DOUBLE IMPACT – for the health practitioner and supporting our small business.
Fees & Transparency: This is helping a business, and like a business, we want to show you our expense breakdown below.
Printed Cotton Fabric: $1.50 ($9/yard; assume 6 masks/yard)
Fusible Interfacing Fabric (filter): $1.00 ($6/yard; assume 6 masks/yard)
Elastic ties: $0.72 ($3.60/yard; assume 5 masks/yard)
Belkis's Labor: $7.80 ($30/hour; assume 5 masks/hour)*
= $3.22/mask without labor costs
= $11.02/mask with labor costs
GoFundMe will take a 2.9% processing fee, plus $0.30, per donation. All donations go to Beriqisu business bank account.
Shipping Costs: Contributed/Donated by Elaine Kubik
We kindly ask for $5-$11 per mask donation.
5 MASKS: $25- $55
10 MASKS: $50 - $110
20 MASKS: $100- $220
500 MASKS ALREADY REQUESTED:
1. Catholic Charities of Orange, Sullivan, and Ulster, Goshen, NY- 100 masks
2. Snoqualmie Valley Hospital, Snoqualmie, WA - 300 masks
3. Memorial Hospital, South Bend, IN - 10 masks
4. Merrimack Medical Center, Merrimack, NH - 40 masks
5. New York City Relief, New York, NY - 50 masks
Upcoming Order Interest: Cambridge Health Alliance, Somerville, MA + others!
Alternative Donation Methods:
- If you prefer not to go through GoFundMe, options include Venmo (@Bellkiss), Paypal (info@BERIQISU.com), or CashApp ($BelkisWhyte)
- If cannot contribute monetarily, consider sharing this GoFundMe with your networks!
We are piloting this effort with 500 masks. If this continues to grow, we will multiply our production, taking a note from the COVID-19 virus playbook.
*$30/hr is the same hourly rate given to COVID response volunteers helping with drive-through testing sites.
- Brittany Holmes
- Bryan Garcia